Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Group commentary by David Zucker, Robert Weiss and Peter Tilden
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 12/02/1988
"...High spirits may be all that a film like this really needs....[It's] impossible not to laugh..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/02/1988
"...The result is, no kidding, funnier than all six POLICE SQUAD shows put together..."
USA Today - 08/25/1989
"...This often uproarious elaboration on ABC's short-lived 1982 series never stoops to the trite..."
A slapstick spoof of police thrillers and action films by the makers of AIRPLANE, THE NAKED GUN stars Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin. This comic cop and master car-crasher must protect Queen Elizabeth II when world terrorists target her for assassination during her visit to the U.S. Despite this high-level assignment, Frank still has time to fall in love with a younger woman (Priscilla Presley), and nearly destroy the world several times over while trying to save it. Considerably more successful than the TV series it was based on (POLICE SQUAD!), this zany parody led to two sequels and a comedy career for Leslie Nielsen, then known mainly for his role in FORBIDDEN PLANET.
Scams And Cons |
Theatrical Release |
- Budget estimate $14.5 million.
- Shot on location in Los Angeles, California, in Technicolor, Dolby sound.
- Began shooting February 16, 1988; Completed shooting April, 1988; Released in USA December 2, 1988.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Reviewed in the New York Times 12/2/1988.
- Both "The Naked Gun" and the sequel "The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear" are based on the 1982 television series "Police Squad," created, written and produced by the comedy team of David Zucker, Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams. Their first film effort "Kentucky Fried Movie" in 1977 was directed by John Landis.
- "The Naked Gun" marks the film debut of Priscilla Presley, already a star from the hit TV series "Dallas."
- Available to buy in the UK.