Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 2 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 1969
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region [unknown]
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1969 -
Best Actor: John Wayne
Entertainment Weekly - 06/01/2007
"[Wayne] charges through with a rollicking star turn."
Ultimate DVD - 08/01/2007
5 stars out of 5 -- "[A] smartly written, beautifully photographed piece of cinema history."
A.V. Club - 01/07/2010
"It isn't just a movie about the ways of the vanishing WEst; it's about the ways of the vanishing Western." -- Grade: B+
Total Film - 03/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "[Wayne] simply gives us his best late-career Wayne, just with an eyepatch. And yes, he's darn good at it."
A pure western in which a lawmen tracks a criminal, TRUE GRIT, based on Charles Portis' novel, reunited John Wayne with director Henry Hathaway (THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER). Wayne is crotchety U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn, who would rather stay home than chase criminals. He heeds the call, though, when fourteen year-old Mattie Ross (Kim Darby) calls on him to avenge her father's death at the hands of a man who has escaped into Indian territory. Glen Campbell is a Texas ranger who accompanies them for his own reasons. Wayne reprised the role six years later in ROOSTER COGBURN.
Oscar winning performance by John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn, the one-eyed, eye-patched Deputy Marshal who helps a stubborn, yet resourceful, teenage girl find the murderer of her father.
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Shot in Technicolor on location in California and Colorado.
- Additional credits: Jack Wilson (makeup supervisor); John Burton (set decorator); Roy Meadows & Elden Rubert (sound recordists).
- Additional cast: John Pickard (Frank Ross) and Ken Renard (Yarnell Poindexter).