Honkers & Bar Walkers, Volume 3
by Various Artists
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by Various Artists ~ Honkers & Bar Walkers, Volume 1 ~ $15.34
- Released: September 24, 2002
- Label: Delmark
- 1.Spider Web - Eddie Chamblee (previously unreleased)
- 2.It Ain't Necessarily Blues - Eddie Chamblee / The Four Blazes (previously unreleased)
- 3.Lonesome Road - Eddie Chamblee
- 4.Caravan - Eddie Chamblee / The Four Blazes (previously unreleased)
- 5.Come on In - Eddie Chamblee
- 6.Take Off - T.J. Fowler
- 7.Queen, The - T.J. Fowler
- 8.Fine and Brown - Oett "Sax" Mallard / Roosevelt Sykes (alternate take)
- 9.Cat Creeps, The - Jimmy Conley / Memphis Slim (previously unreleased)
- 10.Walking Home - J.T. Brown
- 11.Rhapsody in Purple - Eddie Chamblee (previously unreleased)
- 12.St. James Infirmary - Eddie Chamblee (previously unreleased)
- 13.Air Mail Special - Eddie Chamblee (previously unreleased)
- 14.Walkin' Home - Eddie Chamblee
- 15.La! La! La! Lady - Eddie Chamblee
- 16.Dynaflow - Wild Bill Moore
- 17.Blues at Dawn - Wild Bill Moore
- 18.Wild Bill's Bounce - Wild Bill Moore
- 19.Bar B Q - Floyd Taylor
- 20.Loch Lomond - Floyd Taylor
- 21.Baritone Boogie - Floyd Taylor
- 22.Down for Debbie
Contains 22 tracks.
Performers include: Eddie Chamblee, T.J. Fowler, Sax Mallard, Jim Conley, J.T. Brown, Swinging Sax Kari, Wild Bill Moore, Floyd Taylor.
Personnel: Eddie Chamblee (vocals, tenor saxophone); Walter Scott, Floyd McDaniel, William "Shorty" Hill, Leo Blevins, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Sax Kari (guitar); Frank Taylor, Oett "Sax" Mallard (alto saxophone); Jimmy Conley, Robert "Sax" Crowder , Neil Green, J.T. Brown, Joe Gayles, Walter Cox, Wild Bill Moore (tenor saxophone); Paul "Hucklebuck" Williams (baritone saxophone); Dezie McCullers, Philip Guilbeau, Jonah Jones (trumpet); James Buxton (trombone); Floyd Taylor, Terry Pollard, Memphis Slim, Roosevelt Sykes, T.J. Fowler, Walter Bishop, Jr., Bob Call (piano); Armand Jump Jackson, Floyd "Bubbles" McVay, Otto Allen, Eddy Grant, Larry Jackson, Bill Benjamin, Paul Linsley "Jelly" Holt, Osie Johnson (drums).
Recording information: 10/26/1949-07/30/1954.
Before Jimmy Smith reinvented the organ -- before the explosion of soul-jazz in the late '50s and early '60s -- there were the honkers: big-toned, extroverted, hard-blowing swing/R&B tenor men who believed that instrumental jazz had a right to groove. It is no coincidence that Willis "Gator" Jackson, Wild Bill Moore, Jimmy Forrest, Arnett Cobb, and other honkers of the late '40s and early '50s went on to play soul-jazz in the '60s; honker music, like soul-jazz, swung relentlessly and did so in a very accessible, straightforward, groove-oriented fashion. Assembled in 2002, Honkers & Bar Walkers, Vol. 3 picks up where its two predecessors left off and spotlights some more recordings from the honker era. Not all of the 22 tracks on this compilation are instrumentals; several are examples of vocal-oriented jump blues. Nonetheless, swing-based instrumentals dominate this 64-minute CD, and ultimately, the spotlight belongs to tenor sax honkers like Eddie Chamblee, Jim Conley, and the abovementioned Wild Bill Moore. Spanning 1949-1954, these recordings came at a time when Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, and other bebop heavyweights were pointing jazz in a more intellectual, less groove-oriented direction. But the honkers didn't want to be abstract and ultra-complex; their roots were Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, Jimmie Lunceford, and Louis Jordan, and they didn't believe that jazz was strictly for intellectuals in Sweden. Honkers valued accessibility, which is why instrumentals like Conley's "The Cat Creeps," Moore's "Dynaflow," and Chamblee's arrangement of Duke Ellington's "Caravan" are as straightforward and uncomplicated as they are. Honkers -- like Basie, Lunceford, and Hampton back in the '30s -- saw no reason why instrumental jazz couldn't be party music. Those who admired Delmark's two previous Honkers & Bar Walkers collections will be equally appreciative of Vol. 3. ~ Alex Henderson
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!