- Rated: G
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 4, 2006
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Surround 5.1 English
- Stereo 2S French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
The world's first duly elected Russian Pope tries to prevent not only an atomic war, but starvation in Red China as well. Based on Morris l. West's best-selling novel. Academy Award Nominations: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Original Score.
Description by Warner Home Video:
Shoes of the Fisherman, The
All eyes are focused on the Vatican, hoping to see the traditional puffs of white smoke that signal the selection of the next Pope. But this time, much more is at stake. The new pontiff may be the only person who can bring peace to a world hovering on the edge of nuclear nightmare.
Director: Michael Anderson
Starring: Anthony Quinn, Oskar Werner, David Janssen, Vittorio De Sica, Leo McKern, Sir John Gielgud
Kiril Lakota, a Russian priest, has spent years languishing in a Siberian prison camp for his religious convictions. But he unexpectedly gets a reprieve when the communist government sends him to Rome to help the Vatican prevent a nuclear war. But neither the Soviet hierarchy nor the priest himself forsee that the one-time prisoner will ultimately become the new Pope.
- Anthony Asquith was originally set to direct, but due to a serious illness (from which he later died), he left just before the film went into production.