|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 22, 2005
- Originally Released: 1940
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Jackie Moran & Marcia Mae Jones|
|Performer:||Marcia Mae Jones|
|Directed by||Robert F. McGowan & Robert McGowan|
|Screenwriting by||Dorothy Davenport|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Known in England as The Blake Murder Mystery, Haunted House is an energetic and light-hearted feature filled with surprisingly savvy dialogue from low-budget Monogram Pictures. The film spotlights young actor Jackie Moran, best known for his role as Buddy, the youthful co-pilot in Buster Crabbe's Buck Rogers serial of 1939. Moran also appeared as Huckleberry Finn in David O. Selznick's adaption of The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, which featured Haunted House co-star Marcia Mae Jones as well. Director Robert McGowan, is best known for his film work during the late 20s and early 30s and for many "Our Gang" shorts.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Story,acting,and film were OK.It was the type of story of the times that helps relax you and make you think who done it.Not bad. Fred from Austin.
The murder occurs before the movie begins. The audience doesn't get to know a lot about the victim, but we do get strong hints that the main suspect is innocent. Who could have committed the crime, then? Apprentice journalist Jimmie (Jackie Moran) and his boss's niece Millie (Marcia Mae Jones) set out to solve the case. Jimmie and Millie sort through the clues with a "gee whiz" attitude.
Moran was only 17 when this movie was filmed, but his character has the naivete of a lad a few years younger. The studio evidently intended for this to be a Saturday matin?e feature. Moran's likability helps carry the film.
Since this film is targeted to a juvenile audience, I noted ways in which this movie could supplement a history lesson for home schoolers or precocious 4th or 5th graders. For example -- Q: Why might Mrs. Blake have been wary about depositing her money in a bank? A: A memory of the bank panic which occurred a decade earlier. Q: What government program may have helped Jimmie's grandmother maintain a comfortable home? A: The Social Security program instituted by FDR during the previous decade. Q: Why didn't Jimmie have to replace his tire with the slow leak? A: His car didn't have radial tires, but old-fashioned tube tires that could keep rolling if air was replaced every few miles.
Not bad low-budget film from Monogram studios about murder in a small town and the two young people who try to figure out just who the murderer is. Good performances from Moran and Jones in the leads roles. This film has a good feeling of mystery Americana style. Not a bad way to spend an hour. Nice print!
- Sales Rank: 7,754
- UPC: 089218464897
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE