Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
Only 4 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$4.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.79 (65% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: October 11, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Concord Records
- 1.Hub-Tones - (for Freddie Hubbard)
- 2.Lotus Blossom - (for Kenny Dorham)
- 3.Boperation - (for Fats Navarro & Howard McGhee)
- 4.Birks' Works - (for Dizzy Gillespie)
- 5.Dark Shadows - (for Eddie Henderson)
- 6.Daahoud - (for Clifford Brown)
- 7.Medley (For Miles Davis): Blue In Green / Four - (for Miles Davis)
- 8.Stepping Stone - (for Woody Shaw)
- 9.Tangerine - (for Chet Baker)
- 10.Whisper Not - (for Art Farmer)
- 11.Social Call - (for Donald Byrd)
- 12.Mr. Kenyatta - (for Lee Morgan)
Personnel: Ray Vega (trumpet, flugelhorn, chekere, agogo bells, percussion); Roger Byam (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Joe Locke (vibraphone); Igor Atalita (piano); Nick Phillips (keyboards); Steve Khan (acoustic & electric guitars); Bernie Minoso (bass); Vince Cherico (drums, percussion); Wilson "Chembo" Corniel (congas, quinto, bata drum, guiro, guataca, wood block, percussion).
Recorded at Showplace Studios, Dover, New Jersey from April 13-17, 1999. Includes liner notes by Bret Primack.
Ray Vega pays tribute to 13 fellow trumpeters on Boperation, offering Latin jazz interpretations of songs that were, in most cases, written by the trumpeters themselves. All of the trumpeters that Vega salutes became well known after World War II and made their mark playing bop, cool, or post-bop; the Puerto Rican New Yorker doesn't embrace anything by pre-bop icons like Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, and Harry James, but, rather, turns his attention to the works of post-swing improvisers ranging from Dizzy Gillespie, Art Farmer, and the Fats Navarro/Howard McGhee team to Clifford Brown and his admirers, including Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw, and Donald Byrd. Although Vega is very much a hard bopper, he acknowledges the Cool School with a Miles Davis medley that includes "Blue in Green" and "Four" (a gem that, according to many jazz experts, was actually written by Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, although Davis was given credit) and a lyrical version of "Tangerine" that was inspired by Chet Baker. Vega should be applauded for recognizing Baker's greatness; too many "Young Lions" of the 1980s and 1990s have failed to realize just how captivating he could be. Some jazz fans may complain about the fact that Vega doesn't salute either pre-bop or avant-garde trumpeters, but then, he never said that Boperation was meant to tell the entire history of jazz trumpet, fl'gelhorn, and cornet playing. If everyone from Bunny Berigan, Charlie Shavers, and King Oliver to Don Cherry, Lester Bowie, and Hannibal Peterson were also included, Vega would have needed to record several CDs instead of simply one. Vega deserves credit for making Boperation a concept album that is pleasing, if less than essential. ~ Alex Henderson
Country Cares for Kids: A Holiday Album to Benefit St. Jude... (CD)
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,538
- UPC: 013431486725
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Latin Music Categories:
- Claudia Acuna Luna (CD) ~ $19.60 CYBER SALE
- Afro Cuban Jazz Project Descarga Uno (CD) ~ $21.44 CYBER SALE
- Afro Cuban Jazz Project A Puero Padre: Tributo a Emiliano Salvador (CD) ~ $5.39 CYBER SALE
- Cyrille Aimée It's a Good Day (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER SALE
- Laurindo Almeida Best of Laurindo Almeida (CD) ~ $10.25 CYBER SALE