- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Interactive menus
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 08/26/1994
"...Andre is a charmer..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/1995
"...A canny blend of ingredients....The film supplies a healthy dollop of early 60s retro..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/17/1994
"...ANDRE is as irresistible as the adorable baby seal from which it takes it title....It is the quintessential family movie: appealing to all ages, insulting to the intelligence of none, and going out of its way to avoid an aura of contrivance..."
Maine animal lover and harbor master Harry Whitney (Keith Carridine) lives in an intolerant seaside community where he is frowned upon for having a house full of injured animals which he cares for, and where his youngest daughter, Toni (Tina Majorino), is considered an outcast in her grade school. When they take in a seal--lost and separated from his brood--and name it Andre, Harry and Tony nurse the personable creature back to health. Soon they discover that the animal has changed their lives as much as they've changed his. Unfortunately, a certain member of the town has a particular dislike for seals and will do his best to see that Andre is sent far, far away.
A young girl and an attention-loving harbor seal who's hated by the local fishermen become best friends in this heartwarming family drama. Based on a true story.
- Paramount's video releases (VHS #33138 & Laserdiscs #LV33138 & LV33138WS) have been edited for content.
- Andre the seal is actually a sea lion named Tory.
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Produced by Kushner-Locke productions.