Carol Sloane The Songs Sinatra Sang
Only 9 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: September 1, 1996
- Label: Concord Records
Entertainment Weekly - 8/16/96, p.63"...Carol Sloane certainly isn't taking the easy way home by visiting classics immortalized by Ol' Blue Eyes himself....but Sloane pulls it all off with taste and emotional depth."
- Rating: B+
Down Beat - 3/97, p.545 Stars - (out of 5) - "...she offers her own very personal recreation while still paying homage to one of her idols....Sloane's intonation and broad range put her among a select few vocalists whom musicians consider their equals..."
JazzTimes - 2/97, p.102"...ready for immediate consumption..."
- 1.I've Got You Under My Skin
- 2.In the Still of the Night
- 3.One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)
- 4.At Long Last Love
- 5.I'll Be Around
- 6.Fly Me to the Moon
- 7.In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
- 8.You Make Me Feel So Young
- 9.The Night We Called It a Day
- 10.You Go to My Head
- 11.I Fall in Love Too Easily
- 12.The Best Is Yet to Come
- 13.Young at Heart
Personnel: Carol Sloane (vocals); Bill Easly (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Frank Wess (tenor saxophone, flute); Scott Robinson (baritone & bass saxophones, bass clarinet); Bill Charlap (piano); Byron Stripling, Greg Gisbert (trumpet); Steve Turre (trombone); Ben Brown, Sean Smith (bass); Dennis Mackrel, Ron Vincent (drums).
Personnel: Carol Sloane (vocals); Frank Wess (flute, tenor saxophone); Robinson, Scott Robinson (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone, bass saxophone); Bill Easley (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Greg Gisbert, Byron Stripling (trumpet); Steve Turre (trombone); Bill Charlap (piano); Dennis Mackrel, Ron Vincent (drums).
Audio Mixers: Robert Smith ; Alan Varner.
Recording information: 03/04/1996-03/05/1996.
Photographers: Janet Sommer; Eric Stephen Jacobs.
Unknown Contributor Role: Steve Turre.
Recorded two years before Frank Sinatra's death, Carol Sloane's tribute set features the talented veteran singer interpreting 13 songs that were associated with Sinatra. On five selections, the vocalist is assisted by pianist Bill Charlap, bassist Sean Smith, drummer Ron Vincent and Frank Wess on tenor and flute. "You Make Me Feel So Young" is a duet with Charlap, while the remaining six numbers match Sloane with a nonet; there are individual solos on those numbers from trumpeter Greg Gisbert, Scott Robinson on baritone and bass saxes and (on "You Go to My Head") trombonist Steve Turre. Sloane happily does not try to emulate Sinatra and instead provides fairly fresh interpretations to such songs as "I've Got You Under My Skin," "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning," "The Night We Called It a Day" and even "One for My Baby." A highly enjoyable and successful effort by Carol Sloane, whose recordings of the 1990s ranked with the finest of her career. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE