Dave McKenna You Must Believe in Swing
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$0.24 (2% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 1, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Concord Records
JazzTimes - 9/97, p.92"...mainstream jazz of the highest order, with the pianist a one-man rhythm section and DeFranco at his warmest and most creative. Apart from his swinging blues title tune and 'Anthropology,' all the numbers are standards, with the clarinetist playing at his peak..."
- 1.You Must Believe in Swing
- 3.The Song Is You
- 4.If You Could See Me Now
- 5.Darn That Dream
- 6.Autumn Nocturne
- 7.Poor Butterfly
- 8.You Must Believe in Spring
- 10.Detour Ahead
Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano); Buddy DeFranco (clarinet).
Recorded at Sound On Sound, New York, New York on October 15 & 16, 1996. Includes liner notes by Dr. Herb Wong.
"You Must Believe In Swing" was nominated for a 1998 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo.
Liner Note Author: Herb Wong.
Recording information: Sound on Sound Studios, New York, NY (10/15/1996/10/16/1996).
Photographer: Dave Fischer.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Dave McKenna; Buddy DeFranco.
On this wonderful set, pianist Dave McKenna and clarinetist Buddy DeFranco, mutual admirers who had rarely played together before, perform ten exciting duets. Because McKenna is an expert at keeping basslines going, takes hot single-note solos with his right hand, and is a very self-sufficient pianist, there was no need for other musicians. DeFranco, a brilliant clarinetist for over half a century at this point, sounds inspired by the setting. Although one might consider the clarinetist to be boppish while McKenna is swing-oriented, the pianist has played bop before, and DeFranco is a veteran of the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra and Count Basie's early-'50s combos, so there was plenty of overlapping between their styles. On tunes such as "The Song Is You," the exquisite "Autumn Nocturne," "Poor Butterfly," and "Anthropology," the McKenna-DeFranco matchup is particularly magical. Recommended to fans of either of the musicians. ~ Scott Yanow
Count BasieFor the Second Time (With Louis Bellson & Ray Brown) (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Curtis Fuller Boss of The Soul-Stream Trombone (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Barney Kessel Breakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin Rhythms (2-CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gloria Lynne Gloria, Marty & Strings / After Hours (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Strayhorn Touch (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE