Dave McKenna Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume 2
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 26, 2004
- Label: Concord Records
Entertainment WeeklyB+ "...impeccable recital of sentimental songs..."
Down Beat - 3/915 Stars - Excellent - "...This rough poet blends from his rich mine of pop-song arcana the ethereal with profane, sometimes the profound, often...in one breath. Here McKenna restrains his exuberant goliath left hand, and spit-shines kid-leather oldies with affection and pride..."
- 1.Spoken Introduction
- 2.Dream Dancing
- 3.Detour Ahead
- 4.Exactly Like You
- 5.I'm Glad There Is You / I'm Glad I Waited For You
- 6.Knowledge Medley: Teach Me Tonight / School Days / An Apple For The Teacher / I Didn't Know About You
- 7.Knowledge Medley (Part 2): I Didn't Know What Time It Was / I Wish I Knew / I Don't Know Enough About You
- 8.I Don't Know Why (I Just Do) / You'll Never Know
- 9.I Never Knew
- 10.'C' Jam Blues
- 11.Limehouse Blues
Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano).
Recorded at Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkeley, California.
When Joanne Brackeen first arrived at the tiny Maybeck Recital Hall for a concert in June 1989, she was so delighted with the piano and the acoustics that she insisted that Concord owner Carl Jefferson arrange to have her performance there recorded. The message hit home and over the next few years, several dozen solo piano concerts were duly recorded by the label until the hall was sold and it was no longer available for tapings. One of the first concerts to follow Brackeen's featured Dave McKenna. He seems in a particularly lyrical mood throughout this afternoon concert, though his trademark buoyant bassline is often present. While there are a number of gorgeous stand-alone songs, including the gliding "Dream Dancing," a lush, introspective "Detour Ahead," and an inventive, playful take of Duke Ellington's "C Jam Blues" (with a bassline inspired by boogie-woogie pianist Meade "Lux" Lewis' recording), there are several medleys that are connected by a common theme in their titles. Beautifully recorded and performed, this valuable CD was one of many Maybeck titles that was unfortunately deleted from Concord's active catalog. ~ Ken Dryden
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Count Basie Blues By Basie / Dance Parade (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE