Dave McKenna Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume 2
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 26, 2004
- Label: Concord Records
Entertainment WeeklyB+ "...impeccable recital of sentimental songs..."
Down Beat - 3/915 Stars - Excellent - "...This rough poet blends from his rich mine of pop-song arcana the ethereal with profane, sometimes the profound, often...in one breath. Here McKenna restrains his exuberant goliath left hand, and spit-shines kid-leather oldies with affection and pride..."
- 1.Spoken Introduction
- 2.Dream Dancing
- 3.Detour Ahead
- 4.Exactly Like You
- 5.I'm Glad There Is You / I'm Glad I Waited For You
- 6.Knowledge Medley: Teach Me Tonight / School Days / An Apple For The Teacher / I Didn't Know About You
- 7.Knowledge Medley (Part 2): I Didn't Know What Time It Was / I Wish I Knew / I Don't Know Enough About You
- 8.I Don't Know Why (I Just Do) / You'll Never Know
- 9.I Never Knew
- 10.'C' Jam Blues
- 11.Limehouse Blues
Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano).
Recorded at Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkeley, California.
When Joanne Brackeen first arrived at the tiny Maybeck Recital Hall for a concert in June 1989, she was so delighted with the piano and the acoustics that she insisted that Concord owner Carl Jefferson arrange to have her performance there recorded. The message hit home and over the next few years, several dozen solo piano concerts were duly recorded by the label until the hall was sold and it was no longer available for tapings. One of the first concerts to follow Brackeen's featured Dave McKenna. He seems in a particularly lyrical mood throughout this afternoon concert, though his trademark buoyant bassline is often present. While there are a number of gorgeous stand-alone songs, including the gliding "Dream Dancing," a lush, introspective "Detour Ahead," and an inventive, playful take of Duke Ellington's "C Jam Blues" (with a bassline inspired by boogie-woogie pianist Meade "Lux" Lewis' recording), there are several medleys that are connected by a common theme in their titles. Beautifully recorded and performed, this valuable CD was one of many Maybeck titles that was unfortunately deleted from Concord's active catalog. ~ Ken Dryden
Double Play (With Scott Hamilton & Jake Hanna) (2-CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Christmas Cocktail Party: Holiday Piano Spiked with Swing (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE