- Includes both 65mm & 35mm Versions of the Film
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 30, 1999
- Originally Released: 1930
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Note: This program features a film transfer by the UCLA Film and Television archive.
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Interactive Features:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Bat, a hooded criminal mastermind who dares the police to catch him, has been terrifying the city. A bank is robbed, and the country estate of the aristocratic bank president becomes the center of mysterious happenings. Amidst thrills, chills and laughs, the stolen money is discovered and Bat's secret identity is revealed! The Bat Whispers
is a classic "old dark house" comedy/mystery, featuring plenty of atmosphere and many innovative and breathtaking photographic effects, including some elaborately designed and constructed miniatures.
Based on a play by Mary Roberts Rinehart and Avery Hopwood, The Bat Whispers is a sound remake of West's earlier silent film The Bat. It was also shot in two different film formats: regular 35mm and an experimental widescreen version using 65mm film. Both versions - the flat and the widescreen - are presented here in a special double feature, in their original aspect ratios.
A sequel to 1926's THE BAT with people looking for loot stashed in a scary mansion inhabited by a masked villain. Highly stylistic, especially for its time, featuring several atmospheric touches of brilliance. This nail-biter is based on the light mystery novel and play of Avery Hopwood and Mary Roberts Rinehart.
Description by Image Entertainment:
The Bat, a master criminal who dares the police to catch him, has been terrifying the city. A bank is robbed, and the home of the bank president becomes the center of mysterious happenings. Amidst thrills, chills and laughs, the stolen money is discovered, and the Bat's secret identity is revealed!
One terrifying night, the residents of a spooky old mansion are plagued by a shadowy figure, known only as "The Bat."
Theatrical Release |
- Director Roland West filmed a silent version of "The Bat" in 1926. It was remade again in 1959 by writer-director Crane Wilbur with Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead in the leads. Both of these version were called, simply, "The Bat."
- "The Bat Whispers" was United Artists' first widescreen film.
- Roger H. Heman, Charles H. Smith, Ned Herbert Mann, and Helen Hallett served as production assistants.
- Additional cast: Hugh Huntley (Richard Fleming), Charles Dow Clark (Detective Jones), Ben Bard (The Unknown), Chance Ward (Police Lieutenant), Richard Tucker (Mr. Bell), Sidney D'Albrook (Police Sergeant), S. E. Jennings (Man in Black Mask), Grayce Hampton (Cornelia Van Gorder), and Maude Eburn (Lizzie Allen).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 132,282
- UPC: 014381592122
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item