Susannah McCorkle Let's Face The Music: The Songs of Irving Berlin
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Susannah McCorkle ~ From Broadway to BeBop ~ $18.54
- by Susannah McCorkle ~ I'll Take Romance ~ $9.88
- by Susannah McCorkle ~ Someone to Watch Over Me: The Songs of George Gershwin ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 1, 1997
- Label: Concord Records
Down Beat - 9/97, p.513.5 stars (out of 5) - "...a splendid, thoroughly entertaining album that takes some wonderful liberties with this chapter of the Great American Song Book....impeccable vocal phrasing and timing..."
JazzTimes - 8/97, p.111"Susannah McCorkle is a special delight. At once up-town and breezily casual, her accessible sophistication is a wonder to behold....It's an insouciant date given shape by McCorkle's pianist/musical director Allen Farnham....it's a date to snuggle up with in front of a fire."
- 1.I'd Rather Lead A Band
- 2.Let's Face The Music And Dance
- 3.Isn't This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain)?
- 4.Heat Wave
- 5.How Deep Is The Ocean
- 6.Everybody Knew But Me / When You Walked Out Someone Else Walked Right In
- 7.There's No Business Like Show Business
- 8.Cheek To Cheek
- 9.Love And The Weather
- 10.Supper Time
- 11.You're Easy To Dance With / It Only Happens When I Dance With You
- 12.Better Luck Next Time
- 13.Let Yourself Go
- 14.Waiting At The End Of The Road
Full title: Let's Face The Music - The Songs Of Irving Berlin.
Personnel: Susannah McCorkle (vocals); Jerry Dodgion (alto saxophone, flute); Chris Potter (tenor saxophone, alto flute, clarinet); Gregory Gisbert (trumpet, flugelhorn); Conrad Herwig (trombone); Allen Farnham (piano); Rich DeRosa (synthesizer, drums); Al Gafa (acoustic & electric guitars); Steve Gilmore (bass).
Recorded at Sound On Sound Studios, New York, New York from October 28-30, 1996. Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald.
Personnel: Susannah McCorkle (vocals); Alexander Gafa (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Chris Potter (alto flute, clarinet, tenor saxophone); Greg Gisbert (trumpet, flugelhorn); Conrad Herwig (trombone); Allen Farnham (piano); Richard DeRosa (synthesizer, drums).
Audio Mixers: Gerry Volkersz; Alan Varner.
Liner Note Author: Will Friedwald.
Recording information: Sound On Sound Studios, N.Y., NY (10/28/1996/10/30/1996).
Director: Allen Farnham.
Photographers: Carlos Spaventa; Janet Sommer.
Arranger: Richard DeRosa.
Susannah McCorkle, who consistently brings out new meanings in the lyrics she interprets, performs 16 Irving Berlin songs (complete with verses and sometimes lesser-known stanzas) on this delightful set. There is solo space for trumpeter Gregory Gisbert, trombonist Conrad Herwig, young tenor great Chris Potter and altoist Jerry Dodgion; the arrangements by Rich DeRosa are surprisingly modern, and McCorkle is heard in prime form. Among the many highlights are a wistful rendition of "Let's Face the Music and Dance," and a sensuous "Cheek to Cheek," "Let Yourself Go," and a wonderful closer, a version of "Waiting at the End of the Road" on which the singer is accompanied only by the rhythm guitar of Al Gafa. Although this interpretation of "There's No Business Like Show Business" (greatly slowed down and surprisingly touching) is not quite as classic as McCorkle's version of a decade earlier, this is overall a highly recommended set by a superb singer. ~ Scott Yanow
Someone to Watch Over Me: The Songs of George Gershwin (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE