Gene Harris Philip Morris All-Stars Live
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 18, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Concord Records
- 1.Bag's Groove
- 2.I Wish I Knew
- 3.Ellington Medley: Star Crossed Lovers / Take The "A" Train
- 4.Time After Time
- 5.Collage In Blue: All Blues / Every Day I Have The Blues / Goin' Down Slow / CC Rider
- 7.Low Down Blues Medley: Parker's Mood / Goin' To Chicago / Rocks In My Bed / Confessin' The Blues
/Phillip Morris All-Stars.
Personnel: Gene Harris (piano); Ernie Andrews (vocals); Stanley Turrentine (saxophone); Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet); Kenny Burrell (guitar); George Mraz (bass); Lewis Nash (drums).
Recorded live at The University Club, San Diego, California on April 22, 1995. Includes liner notes by Andrew Whist.
Personnel: Gene Harris (piano); Ernie Andrews (vocals); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet); Lewis Nash (drums).
Recording information: University Club, San Diego, CA (04/22/1995).
Tired of jazz that makes your head hurt? Or smooth jazz that makes you feel like you're in a "hip" shopping mall? Think that jazz should swing and retain/reflect its blues roots? If you've answered "yes" to any of these questions, then this CD is for you. Six "old" masters of the verities of earthy, blues-drenched jazz--people who've absorbed styles ranging from blues to swing to hard bop--gathered for a concert in '95 to show that jazz can still be an entertaining and enriching experience for all.
Harris' piano is akin to Horace Silver in concept: mix funk, blues and soul into swinging, driving bop pianism. Burrell is still Burrell after all these years--burred, bluesy, fleet tone intact. Listen, and learn why "Sweets" Edison was Frank Sinatra's trumpeter of choice. Stanley Turrentine's tone has the edge of bop, the smoothness and durabilty of cool and the feeling of/for the blues. The program is all familiar standards, but that hardly matters--it's what done with them that counts. A set that's fine and mellow, but not too--these fellows stills have The Spark. As a bonus, a couple of Joe Williams-ish vocals from Ernie Andrews.
Roy EldridgeTrumpet Kings at Montreux (With Dizzy Gillespie & Clark... (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Big Band Soul: Live at Town Hall, N.Y.C./World Tour 1990... (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~
$8.48 Super Savings
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE