Frank Capp Juggernaut
In a Hefti Bag
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$6 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 26, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Concord Records
JazzTimes - 3/96, p.110"...The exuberance of the performances belies any sense of historic recreation that one might be tempted to expect. The music is just as exciting and valid in this recreation as if it were being created for the first time."
Jazziz - 10/95, p.37"...The program...favors the strong melodic quality and the inherent swing that [Neal] Hefti became noted for during his association with the Basie band..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Frank Capp Juggernaut: Frank Capp (drums); Lanny Morgan, Marshal Royal, Danny House (alto saxophone); Rickey Woodard, Pete Christlieb (tenor saxophone); Bill Green (baritone saxophone, flute); Jack Nimitz (baritone saxophone); Bob Summers, Snooky Young, Conte Condoli, Bill Berry, Frank Zsabo (trumpet); Andy Martin, Thurman Green, Alan Kaplan (trombone); Gerry Wiggins (piano); Dennis Budimir, John Pisano (guitar); Chuck Berghofer (bass).
Recorded at Sage & Sound Recorders, Hollywood, California on November 3, 1994 and March 7 & 21, 1995. Includes liner notes by Mark Holston.
Composer: Neal Hefti.
Personnel: Frank Capp (drums); Dennis Budimir, John Pisano (guitar); Bill Green (flute, baritone saxophone); Danny House, Lanny Morgan, Marshall Royal (alto saxophone); Pete Christlieb, Rickey Woodard (tenor saxophone); Jack Nimitz (baritone saxophone); Conte Candoli, Frank Zsabo, Snooky Young, Bill Berry , Bob Summers (trumpet); Alan Kaplan, Andy Martin, Thurman Green (trombone); Gerald Wiggins, Gerry Wiggins (piano).
Audio Mixer: James Mooney.
Liner Note Author: Mark Holston.
Recording information: Sage & Sound Recorders, Hollywood, CA (03/07/1995/03/21/1995).
Unknown Contributor Role: Thurman Green.
Arranger: Neal Hefti.
The Frank Capp Juggernaut's interpretations of 16 Neal Hefti compositions (which were originally written and arranged for the 1950s-era Count Basie Orchestra) bring new life to the highly appealing music without directly copying the earlier recordings. Capp and his 16-piece orchestra are in typically swinging form on obvious classics such as "Cute," "Whirlybird," and "Li'l Darlin'"; several songs whose ensembles are more familiar than their titles (such as "Flight of the Foo Birds," "Scoot," and "Bag-A-Bones"); and some high-quality obscurities. Many soloists are featured, including the late altoist Marshall Royal (who takes his last recorded solo on "It's Awf'lly Nice to Be with You"); tenors Rickey Woodard and Pete Christlieb; altoist Lanny Morgan; trumpeters Conte Candoli, Bob Summers, and Snooky Young; and trombonists Thurman Green, Alan Kaplan, and Andy Martin. Special mention should be made of the work of Gerry Wiggins, who is former co-leader Nat Pierce's permanent replacement and fits right into the Count Basie chair with enthusiasm and obvious skill. As for Frank Capp, he gets his share of drum breaks (including on "Cute" and "Whirlybird") while thoroughly enjoying himself driving the ensembles. Fans of swinging big bands cannot do much better than picking up this highly recommended release. ~ Scott Yanow
Terry GibbsThe Dream Band, Volume 2: The Sundown Sessions (Live) (CD)
Roy EldridgeTrumpet Kings at Montreux (With Dizzy Gillespie & Clark... (CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 52,892
- UPC: 013431465522
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE