Monty Alexander Ballad Essentials
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 25, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Concord Records
- 1.Here's That Rainy Day
- 2.In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
- 4.Body and Soul
- 5.The River
- 6.Because You're Mine
- 8.For All We Know
- 9.Close Enough for Love
- 10.September Song
- 11.Maybe September
- 12.I'm a Fool to Want You
Personnel: Monty Alexander (piano); Herb Ellis (guitar); John Patitucci, Ray Brown, John Clayton, Gerald Wiggins, Ira Coleman (bass); Troy Davis, Ed Thigpen, Dion Parson (drums); Othello Molineaux, Derek Dicenzo (steel drums).
Recorded between 1980 and 1996. Includes liner notes by Scott Yanow.
This is part of the Concord Records Ballad Essentials series.
Personnel: Monty Alexander (piano); Herb Ellis (guitar); Ed Thigpen, Troy Davis , Dion Parson (drums); Othello Molineaux (steel drum).
Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.
Recording information: Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkeley, CA (1980-1997); Sound on Sound, New York, NY (1980-1997); Soundmixers, New York, NY (1980-1997); Sounds Creation, Osaka, Japan (1980-1997).
Photographer: Teri Bloom.
In 2000, Monty Alexander was an obvious choice for Concord Jazz's Ballad Essentials series. The Jamaican pianist had recorded at least 14 albums for Concord, and he had a reputation for being a very lyrical and expressive ballad player. This collection, which spans 1980-1996, could have easily been a two-CD set, but instead, Concord chooses to be more concise and keeps it down to a single disc. You won't hear any horn solos on this CD; more often that not, Alexander is heard as a trio pianist, and that format serves him well on such standards as "Body and Soul" and "For All We Know." Meanwhile, Alexander's talents as an unaccompanied solo pianist are evident on the hauntingly pretty "Estat‚" (from Vol. 40 of Concord's Live at Maybeck Recital Hall series) and various gems from the pianist's Frank Sinatra tribute Echoes of Jilly's, including "I'm a Fool to Want You" and "Here's That Rainy Day." Most of the albums that Alexander recorded for Concord in the 1980s and 1990s are worth owning, but if you need a to-the-point summary of his ballad playing during those decades, Ballad Essentials is the logical choice. ~ Alex Henderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE