- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 02/01/1992
"...Lauren Bacall is magnificent..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/08/1991
"...The two children have genuine spunk..."
When a child wants to bring her divorced parents back together for the holidays, she asks Santa for help. Her brother and grandmother devise a plan to make her wish come true.
Seven-year-old Hallie and 13-year-old Ethan have one wish for Christmas: to get their divorced parents back together. They figure if they can only get them in the same place on Christmas Eve, everything will work out, mom will dump her stuffy boyfriend, and dad will reasonably explain why he left his lucrative Wall Street career to manage a diner. The children enlist the Macy's Santa and their grandmother to help the process along.
- Color by Technicolor; shot in Panavision.
- Film was put into production at the behest of Brandon Tartikoff, then the newly appointed head of Paramount Pictures. When the film did poorly both critically and at the box office, Tartikoff, who had formerly worked only in TV, was lambasted for having the wrong sensibility for film. Not too long after, he left Paramount.
- Additional credits: Wayne Massarelli (makeup for Lauren Bacall), Jim Scribner (Santa Claus makeup for Leslie Nielson), and Elle Elliott (hair for Lauren Bacall).