Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 19, 2013
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary By Producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Director Tony Scott, Co- Screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr., And Naval Experts
- Danger Zone: The Making Of Top Gun (6-Part Documentary)
- Multi-Angle Storyboards With Optional Commentary By Director Tony Scott
- Best Of The Best: Inside The Real Top Gun
- 4 Music Videos
- TV Spots
- Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
- Survival Training Featurette
- Tom Cruise Interviews
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- Dolby True HD 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Tom Cruise &
James Tolkan &
Chris Lebenzon &
Jim Cash &
Jack Epps Jr.
Jerry Bruckheimer &
Director of Photography:
Jeffrey L. Kimball
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I feel the need--the need for speed!"
- Maverick (Tom Cruise) and Goose (Anthony Edwards)
"I was keeping up foreign relations"
- Maverick, relating how he gave the finger to an enemy pilot during an "impossible" 4-G negative (inverted) dive
Academy Awards 1986 -
Best Original Song
Variety - 05/14/1986
"...Strong visuals....A thrilling ride..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/11/2002
"...Tom Cruise took our breath away..."
Uncut - 05/01/2005
"Tony Scott's career-defining bombast still packs a punch."
Total Film - 07/01/2006
"Cruise slapped on a grin and some sunglasses...and cunningly tapped the rich vein of MTV in its '80s heyday."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/02/2011
"[Y]ou can see why Cruise, then a baby-faced 23, became the biggest star of the era. His thousand-watt smile is the film's best special effect." -- Grade: B
Maverick (Tom Cruise) is a reckless F-14 pilot who flies by instinct and breaks all of the rules. While attending the Navy's elite air combat training academy, affectionately known as "Top Gun," Maverick romances the civilian astrophysics instructor (Kelly McGillis) and competes with crackerjack pilot Ice (Val Kilmer) for top honors. He is the quintessential rebel, upsetting senior officers with his antics and risk-taking while simultaneously amazing them with his skill. In the end, Maverick overcomes a tragic loss and his need to stand out in the crowd and proves that he can shine as part of a team. Anthony Edwards stars as Maverick's best friend and co-pilot, Goose, and Meg Ryan first garnered attention as Goose's wife, Carole. Superb state-of-the-art aerial photography makes TOP GUN, directed by Tony Scott, one of the most exciting and entertaining films of its genre. This top grossing movie of 1986 is allegedly based on a Navy fighter pilot program at the Miramar Naval Base in San Diego, California, and was filmed on location at the base.
Cocky, undisciplined Maverick (Tom Cruise) flies by instinct and breaks all of the rules at the Navy fighter pilot academy with his best friend and co-pilot Goose (Anthony Edwards). Along the way, Maverick romances the civilian astrophysics instructor (Kelly McGillis) who is initially put off by his hotshot antics. When a personal tragedy leads Maverick to reassess his abilities and choices, he proves that he can be a team player and still shine. Directed by Tony Scott, TOP GUN was the top grossing movie of 1986.
Essential Cinema |
High Flying |
- Theatrical release: May 15, 1986.
- TOP GUN was filmed at Miramar Naval Base, San Diego, CA, and at other locations in California and Nevada.
- The film grossed more than $175 million at the domestic box office and nearly $345 million worldwide.