- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 24, 2009
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
Behind the Scenes:
- Alex Turner, Director
- Simon Barrett, Screenwriter
- Red Sands' Set Tour With Noel G.
- The Screenwriter Diaries: The Making of Red Sands
Performers, Cast and Crew:
When a group of bored soldiers stationed in Afghanistan discover a bizarre ancient statue and promptly use it for target practice, the desecrated structure brings about an intense supernatural force that knows how to engage in psychological warfare and causes more horror and destruction than the men are trained for. Shane West (ER) and J.K. Simmons (SPIDER-MAN) star in this unnerving horror-thriller from Alex Turner, director of the similarly themed DEAD BIRDS.
From the creators of the cult hit, Dead Birds, comes the psychological, horror film Red Sands, which follows the story of a group of U.S. soldiers who face a deadly supernatural force after they destroy an ancient statue.
Present-day Afghanistan. As continuing battles rage in the war-torn country, a unit of U.S. soldiers are dispatched to seize and control a strategic road that runs past an abandoned stone house. En route, the soldiers discover an ancient stone statue hidden deep within an ancient ravine. Using the relic for target practice, they destroy it, unwittingly releasing a vengeful supernatural force that is about to wage a horrifying war on them in this taut, action-packed, psychological thriller.