- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Released: February 19, 2013
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Summit Inc/Lionsgate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Closed-Caption
- Audio Commentary With Director Scott Derrickson
- Audio Commentary With Writers Scott Derrickson And C. Roger Cargill
- "True Crime Authors" Featurette
- "Living In A House Of Death" Featurette
- Deleted Scenes (With Optional Audio Commentary With Scott Derrickson)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 11/01/2012
3 stars out of 5 -- "[With] a dependably driven performance from Hawke, Chris Norr's gorgeously glossy cinematography and several shiversome reveals..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/04/2012
"Hawke gives a committed performance....SINISTER uses the supernatural to underline its examination of the all-too-human foibles of insecurity and myopic self-centeredness."
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2012
"[E]xpertly told, with enough narrative complications to distinguish it from the current run of paranormal curtain-twitching."
A struggling true-crime novelist stumbles into a grim supernatural mystery that threatens the lives of his entire family in this nightmarish horror yarn from director Scott Derrickson (THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL). Ellison (Ethan Hawke) is seeking inspiration for his latest book when he moves his wife and children into a home where an entire family perished under gruesome circumstances. Terror soon hits closer to home, however, when the writer discovers a box of old family movies in the attic of his new house, and watches in horror as images of various families being murdered flicker before his eyes. Now the deeper Ellison investigates the disturbing case, the more he begins to fear he has stirred an ancient evil that won't rest until it has claimed his entire family. Vincent D'Onofrio and James Ransone co-star.