Terry Gibbs The Dream Band, Volume 2: The Sundown Sessions (Live)
14 copies available
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Terry Gibbs ~ Dream Band, Volume 6: One More Time (Live) ~ $13.43
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 14, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Contemporary
Vox (12/92, p.96) - 9 - Excellent Plus - "..the Dream Band was one of the greatest-ever aggregations on 34 legs!...these albums [DREAM BAND, Vols.1-5] go some way to supporting the Dream Band's enviable word-of-mouth reputation.."
- 1.The Song Is You
- 3.The Fat Man
- 4.It Could Happen to You
- 5.Back Bay Shuffle
- 6.Dancing in the Dark
- 7.Blue Lou - (bonus track)
- 8.Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise
- 9.No Heat
- 10.My Reverie
- 11.The Claw
Personnel: Terry Gibbs (vibraphone), Joe Maini, Charlie Kennedy (alto saxophones), Bill Perkins, Med Flory (tenor saxophones), Jack Schwartz (baritone saxophone), John Audino, Conte Candoli, Frank Higgins, Stu Williamson (trumpets), Bobby Burgess, Vern Fryley, Bill Smiley (trombones), Lou Levy (piano), Buddy Clark (bass), Mel Lewis (drums).
Recorded live at the Sundown, Hollywood, California in November, 1959.
Personnel: Terry Gibbs (vibraphone); Joe Maini, Charlie Kennedy (alto saxophone); Med Flory, Bill Perkins (tenor saxophone); Jack Schwartz (baritone saxophone); Conte Candoli, Frank Higgins, Stu Williamson , John Audino (trumpet); Bill Smiley, Vern Fryley, Bob Burgess (trombone); Lou Levy (piano); Mel Lewis (drums).
Recording information: Sundown Hollywood (11/1959); Sundown, Hollywood, CA (11/1959).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Jack Schwartz; Bill Smiley; Frank Higgins; Vern Fryley; Buddy Clark ; Joe Maini; Lou Levy; Med Flory; Mel Lewis; Stu Williamson ; Bill Perkins; Billy Smiley; John Audino; Charlie Kennedy.
Arrangers: Sydney Johnson; Sy Johnson; Al Cohn; Lennie Niehaus; Manny Albam; Marty Paich; Med Flory; Bill Holman.
The legendary Terry Gibbs Dream Band, a notable unit that from 1959-62 made a few albums for Mercury and Verve, was well served by the five CDs of previously unreleased material released by Contemporary in the late 1980s. Vol. 2 has charts by Bill Holman, Al Cohn, Manny Albam, Lennie Niehaus and Med Flory on six swing-era songs and four later tunes, including Gibbs' "The Fat Man." Of the soloists featured during this live set, which also resulted in part of Vol. 3, vibraphonist Gibbs, trumpeter Conte Candoli, altoists Joe Maini and Charlie Kennedy, Bill Perkins on tenor and pianist Lou Levy are most notable. Recommended for fans of swinging big bands. ~ Scott Yanow
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 LABOR DAY
Roy EldridgeTrumpet Kings at Montreux (With Dizzy Gillespie & Clark... (CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE