Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 27 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 5, 2013
- Originally Released: 1944
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Note: Commentary by composer David Raskin and film professor Jeanine Basinger
- Commentery by film historian Rudy Behlmer
- Gene Tierney: a shattered portrait and Vincent Price: the versatile villain as seen on biography on the A&E network
- Deleted scene
- Original theatrical trailer
- Extended movie version
- The Obsession
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Clifton Webb &
Lane Chandler &
Frank La Rue
Ring Lardner, Jr. &
Director of Photography:
Joseph La Shelle
Academy Awards 1944 -
Best Cinematography: Joseph LaShelle
Chicago Sun-Times - 01/20/2002
"...That LAURA continues to weave a spell -- and it does -- is a tribute to style over sanity....The music lends a haunted, nostalgic, regretful cast to everything it plays under..."
USA Today - 03/12/1993
...This all-timer made a standard of the title tune, launched co-star Clifton Webb's screen career....[and] it also gives Vincent Price and Judith Anderson meaty suspect roles..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/18/2005
"[T]he whodunit still gleams like a pearl-handled pistol..."
Los Angeles Times - 04/03/2005
"[A] delectable romantic thriller..."
Sight and Sound - 04/01/2006
"Preminger's waspish masterpiece, which swings from high society noir to romantic mystery two thirds of the way through."
Total Film - 04/01/2012
5 stars out of 5 -- "[L]iterate and mannered in the best way....David Raksin's title song and score are sheer romantic swoon."
A classic noirish mystery with a consummate ensemble of actors. Dana Andrews adroitly plays the detective who delves into the murder of the stunningly beautiful Laura, with whom it seems everyone, including the detective himself, is in love. But Webb steals the show as the titular ingenue's creepily elegant social mentor, Waldo Lydecker. Based on the novel by Vera Caspary. Academy Award Nominations: 4, including Best Director. Academy Awards: Best (Black-and-White) Cinematography.
Classic film about a detective who, while investigating the murder of a beautiful woman, falls in love with her likeness in a painting. But was the woman really murdered'
Film Noir |
Mistaken Identity |
- LAURA was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1999.
- Additional cast: Clyde Fillmore (Bullitt); Ralph Dunn (Fred Callahan); Lee Tung Foo (Servant); and Harold Schlickenmayer, Harry Strang and Lane Chandler (Detectives).