The Freedom Book [Rudy Van Gelder Remasters]
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
Hurry! Only 11 copies left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$6 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
sku: ZZZLM 30160
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: May 1, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Prestige
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Jaki Byard (piano); Richard Davis (bass); Alan Dawson (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on December 3, 1963. Includes liner notes by David A. Himmelstein.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1995, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Jaki Byard (piano); Richard Davis (bass guitar); Alan Dawson (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Rudy Van Gelder.
In some ways tenor saxophonist Booker Ervin was the archetypal jazz player for the post-bop 1960s, combining the tradition of Texas sax with just the hint of edgy modernism, a sort of the Delta-meets-Morocco sound so accessible that it is easy to miss the chances Ervin took with his music. Although his career was short (cancer claimed him in the summer of 1970 when he was just shy of his 40th birthday), Ervin still managed to record some 20 albums as a frontman, most notably his "book" series, The Song Book, The Blues Book, The Space Book, and this fine session, The Freedom Book, which finds him working with a rhythm section of Jaki Byard on piano, Richard Davis on bass, and Alan Dawson on drums. Recorded on December 3, 1963, The Freedom Book is a near perfect set of modern hard bop, ranging just far enough out there to feel fresh but retaining a strong lifeline to bop tradition. Highlights of the session include an impressive Ervin original, "A Lunar Tune," a fine version of Randy Weston's "Cry Me Not," the deliberately strident "Al's In," and another Ervin composition, the moving "A Day to Mourn," an emotionally charged ballad written after the assassination of JFK.ballad written after the assassination of JFK. [A bonus track, an interesting and brief treatment of Victor Young's "Stella by Starlight," a piece strongly associated with Charlie Parker, that was recorded at the Freedom Book session but originally released on the album Groovin' High, is included on the 2007 edition, further capping off a wonderful album.] ~ Steve Leggett
Miles DavisMiles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3...
$42.51 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,934
- UPC: 888072301603
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 5) (2-CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
At High Voltage: Recorded Live, July 24th 2010 (2-CD)
$5.98 on SALE
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of 1910 Fruitgum Company (CD-R) ~ $11.98 on SALE
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs Product Series:
- 3-2 Get Funky The Return of the Funky Ones (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields Mozart - Gallery Of Classics (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin 20 Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $14.98 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Love Makes a Woman (CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Johnny Adams The Verdict (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE