Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 5, 2013
- Originally Released: 1958
- Label: Criterion
- Note: New 2K Digital Master From The 2011 Restoration, With Uncompressed Monaural Soundtrack
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- PCM Mono - Japanese
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2007
"[Keisuke] adopts a strongly kabuki-influenced approach, shooting in colour, scope and on studio sets so stylised that their artificial backdrops and scene-changes are proudly flaunted..."
A.V. Club - 02/27/2013
"Kinoshita stages the entire movie as a hybrid of cinema and kabuki, complete with an onscreen narrator describing the action..."
Critics heralded this film, the first of two about the legend of Mount Narayama, as moving and rich in artistry.
When humans complain about the world of the present, perhaps they should reflect on life in this Japanese village circa the 1880s.
Here is a place where the laws are so Draconian that the police bury robbers alive for their crimes. Worse yet, the elderly are not looked up to for their potential wisdom; instead, they are forced to accept their savage "fate" atop a frigid mountain.
In this land live a stiff-necked mother and her widower son. Together, they embark on her last journey...to the apogee of Mount Narayama.
- A Shochiku production and release.
- Filmed in Grandscope. Color by Fujicolor.