Don Ellis New Ideas
Only 7 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: May 15, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Don Ellis Quintet: Don Ellis (trumpet); Al Francis (vibraphone); Jaki Byard (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Charlie Persip (drums).
Recorded on May 11, 1961. Originally released on New Jazz (8257). Includes original release liner notes by Don Ellis.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1990, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley).
On this 1961 quintet set for Prestige (with vibraphonist Al Francis, pianist Jaki Byard, bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Charlie Persip), Don Ellis experiments with time, new chord structures, and free improvisation; a highlight is his brief unaccompanied workout on the free-form "Solo." Ellis, who switches to piano during part of "Tragedy," already had a sound of his own, although he would change the direction of his music within a few years. Even over 40 years later, his thoughtful musical experiments of the early '60s are often quite fascinating to hear. ~ Scott Yanow
Elmo HopeAll-Star Sessions (With John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Jimmy... (CD)
$14.83 CYBER WEEK
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 5) (2-CD)
$10.56 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK