Charles Earland Black Drops
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Charles Earland ~ Black Talk! (Remastered) ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: August 20, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Charles Earland (organ); Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone); Virgil Jones (trumpet); Clayton Pruden (trombone); Maynard Parker (guitar); Jimmy Turner (drums).
Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on June 1, 1970.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Charles Earland (organ); Maynard Parker (guitar); Jimmy Heath (flute, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Virgil Jones (trumpet).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Sonny Hopson.
Recording information: New Jersey (06/01/1970); Nj (06/01/1970); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (06/01/1970).
The late '60s and early '70s were a very productive time for Charles Earland. At his best, the organist delivered five-star gems during that period, such as Black Talk and Living Black -- and at his worst, he provided decent, if unremarkable, albums like Black Drops. Although not in a class with Black Talk or Living Black, this Bob Porter-produced soul-jazz/hard bop LP is satisfying and generally enjoyable. Earland surrounds himself with mostly fellow Philadelphians, including tenor and soprano saxophonist Jimmy Heath, guitarist Maynard Parker, trombonist Clayton Pruden, and drummer Jimmy Turner -- in fact, the only non-Philadelphian on Black Drops is trumpeter Virgil Jones. Highlights of the LP range from the driving hard bop of Earland's "Buck Green" and John Coltrane's "Lazybird" to a funky workout on Sly Stone's "Sing a Simple Song" and some mellow, congenial grooving on "Don't Say Goodbye," and Burt Bacharach's "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." ~ Alex Henderson
Brother Jack McDuffThe Honeydripper (Rudy Van Gelder Remaster Series) (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Charles EarlandIn Concert at the Montreux Jazz Festival and The Lighthouse (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Bohemia After Dark (24-Bit with Bonus Tracks) (CD)
$10.33 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE