- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 16, 2009
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Surround - French
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Music Video: "I'm Not Bitter"
- Additional Features - Exclusive Podcasts (4)
- Deleted Scenes (10)
- Behind the Scenes: Gag Reel
- "Rainn Wilson: Office Rocker"
- "Rock Beat With Fish Fishman"
- "The Music of THE ROCKER"
- "Behind The Band: Vesuvius"
- "Pete Best Interview"
- "Rock Tales"
- "Vesuvius Public Service Announcements"
- "Fox Movie Channel Presents: In Character With THE ROCKER"
- "MTV Film Festival Panel"
- Director Peter Cattaneo and Actor Rainn Wilson
- Actors Josh Gad, Teddy Geiger, Emma Stone, and Jason Sudeikis
Disc 1: THE ROCKER
Disc 2: Digital Copy
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rainn Wilson &
Will Arnett &
George Folsey, Jr.
Shawn Levy &
New York Times - 08/20/2008
"The movie carries off the trick of conjuring nostalgia for the bad old days when bands trashed hotel rooms and drank themselves into oblivion while making such behavior appear pathetic."
Los Angeles Times - 08/20/2008
"[T]here's something pleasantly old-fashioned about the movie's leisurely pace....Wilson is at his most animated when demonstrating what aficionados know as 'drum face,' his mouth stretched wide in a primal yell."
Empire - 09/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "[With] a game cast and a boisterous lead from Wilson....FULL MONTY director Cattaneo thumps out the tantrums-and-triumphs storybeats with ease....Likable..."
Slovenly drummer Robert "Fish" Fishman (THE OFFICE's Rainn Wilson) is booted out of his 1980s hair metal band, Vesuvius, right as they're signed to a big label, crushing his dreams and leading to a 20-year stretch of office park employment. A second chance comes in the form of his overweight teenage keyboardist nephew (Josh Gad) who needs an emergency drummer for his band's gig at the prom. It's an odd match--an '80s metal guy in a teen emo-lite band (their name is A.D.D.)--but he's soon offering fatherly counsel to fatherless boy singer Curtis (Teddy Geiger), giving hair gel tips to the foxy bassist (Emma Stone), and working to get the band a club gig. Soon A.D.D. is signed to the same label as Vesuvius, poised for major MTV-stardom, all leading to a big arena spot as the opening band for the dreaded Vesuvius. Fish needs to overcome his tantrum-throwing ways and step up to the kit, if he wants to impress Curtis's hot mom (Christina Applegate) and outrock his former colleagues. A cross between rock star fantasia à la SCHOOL OF ROCK and the Will Ferrell School of man-child comedy, THE ROCKER benefits from tight editing and pretty decent songs. Real-life musician Geiger saves some rough stretches with his easygoing charisma, while Peter Best (the drummer dropped from the Beatles and hence the quintessential "dumped drummer") makes a cameo. It's directed by Peter Cattaneo of THE FULL MONTY
Description by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment:
Twenty years after being kicked out of his nearly famous '80s hair band, Robert "Fish" Fishman (Wilson) finds himself trapped in a dead-end office job and living with his sister's family. But when opportunity rocks, Fish gets a hilarious second chance at stardom, and without missing a beat, the desperate drummer vows to reclaim the rock-god throne he always thought he deserved!