Stanley and Livingstone
20th Century Fox Cinema Archives (series)
|You Save:||$8.16 (30% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- ASPECT RATIO 4:3 (FULL FRAME)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 27, 2012
- Originally Released: 1939
- Label: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Spencer Tracy, Nancy Kelly, Richard Greene, Walter Brennan & Cedric Hardwicke|
|Performer:||Henry Hull, Henry Travers, Charles Coburn, Richard Greene, Walter Brennan & Nancy Kelly|
|Directed by||Henry King|
|Edited by||Barbara McLean|
|Screenwriting by||Philip Dunne & Julien Josephson|
|Composition by||Rudolph Schrager, Cyril J. Mockridge, Louis Silvers & David Buttolph|
|Cinematography by||Otto Brower & George Barnes|
|Art Direction by||William S. Darling|
|Produced by||Kenneth Macgowan|
Description by OLDIES.com:
When American newspaperman and adventurer Henry M. Stanley comes back from the western Indian wars, his editor James Gordon Bennett sends him to Africa to find Dr. David Livingstone, the missing Scottish missionary.
Henry King's fabulous film tells the true story of 19th-century New York Herald reporter Henry Stanley (Spencer Tracy), who went on a trek through the wilds of Africa in the 1870s to search for missing British medical missionary Dr. David Livingstone (Sir Cedric Hardwicke). In his quest to determine the fate of the Scottish missionary, the adventurous Stanley endured unspeakable hardships and also experienced unimaginable wonders. Stanley begins his journey in Zanzibar, where he ignores warnings of danger to head west through the unmapped jungles. Tracy's and Hardwicke's performances are excellent, as are the supporting players under the gentle hand of King. Over time, STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE has become a historical document not only for recounting this remarkable tale but because the film itself offers unique footage of the African landscape and peoples as they stood in 1939.
Adventurous journalist Henry Stanley sets out on a quest to determine the fate of the Scottish missionary Dr. Livingstone. The safari scenes were filmed on location in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,922
- UPC: 024543850106
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Death of a Prophet / Get Christie Love! (DVD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Because They're Young (DVD) ~ $5.58 on SALE
- The Best of Tromadance Film Festival, Volume 4 (DVD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Big Town, Volume 1 (Heart of the City) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Benghazi Desert War: The Fighting Rats of Tobruk / Desert Victory (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Trains - The Golden Age of Trains, Volume 1 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE