- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 15, 2009
- Originally Released: 1950
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Harry Carey Jr. and Peter Bogdanovich with John Ford
Performers, Cast and Crew:
John Ford said of this film, "WAGON MASTER came closest to what I hoped to achieve." A relaxed epic Western without major stars, it features Ward Bond as Jonathan Wiggs, a sardonic Mormon taking a wagon train of his people to Utah's San Juan Valley with freewheeling cowpokes Travis Blue (Ben Johnson) and Sandy Owens (Harry Carey Jr.) as guides. En route, the group comes upon a medicine show troupe, run by Dr. A. Locksley Hall (Alan Mowbray), that is heavily under the influence of its product and out of water, and they too become part of the caravan. As the trek continues, the Mormons also begins to run low on water, which is less of a problems than a meeting with the murderous Clegg family, led by the unctuous Uncle Shiloh (Charles Kemper), who claims that he and his five "boys" are simple cowhands. To avoid violence, Wiggs allows them to join the convoy but regrets it when the medicine troupe attempts to leave the wagon train and is stopped at gunpoint by the Cleggs. An enjoyable character-based excursion that draws humor from the uneasy coexistence of a wide range of social types, WAGON MASTER showcases the gruff and appealing Bond in a role that he would repeat, with little alteration (and great popular success), on television's WAGON TRAIN.
A group of Mormons endure many hardships as they trek westward in a covered wagon.
Old West |
- The Turner videocassette is part of the "RKO Collection."
- The television series "Wagon Train" was inspired by this film.
- Additional cast: Don Summers (Sam Jackson); Cliff Lyons (Marshal); Fred Libby, Mickey Simpson (Uncle Shiloh's Boys); Movita Castaneda (Indian Girl).
- Additional credit: Stan Jones (songwriter).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 35 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Movie Lover: Fred Culver
Austin, TX US
-- November, 3, 2009
Good Story,acting,sound,scenery,and pitures. I miss movies like this.Reminds me of stories my Uncle Glenn would tell of stories passed down to him. Fred from Austin
- Sales Rank: 62,071
- UPC: 883929082179
- Shipping Weight: 0.18/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item