Ray Brown Walk On (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Ray Brown All Stars ~ Don't Forget the Blues $9.99
by Jimmy Rowles / Ray Brown ~ The Duo Sessions (2-CD) $9.99
by Herb Ellis ~ In the Pocket: After You've Gone / Hot Tracks (2-CD) ~ $13.48
by Ray Brown ~ Three Dimensional ~ $17.08
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: July 22, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Telarc
CMJ - 7/21/03, p.29"...It all adds up to a serious dose of Ray Brown, revealing that he could swing in any context and was quite funky when he wanted to be..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.America the Beautiful
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Sunday
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Stella by Starlight
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Lined With a Groove
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Honeysuckle Rose
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Fried Pies
- $0.99 on iTunes7.You Are My Sunshine
- $0.99 on iTunes8.That's All
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Mvt. I
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Mvt. II
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Mvt. III
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Hello Girls
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.F.S.R.
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Stardust
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Evidence
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Woogie Boogie
- $0.99 on iTunes5.In a Mellow Tone
- $0.99 on iTunes6.The Nearness of You
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Much in Common
- $0.99 on iTunes8.This Is Always
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Three by Four
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Down by the Riverside
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Disc 2 contains previously unreleased Ray Brown recordings.
Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown (bass); Geoffrey Keezer (piano); Karriem Riggins
Additional personnel: Monty Alexander, Benny Green (piano); John Clayton, Christian McBride (bass); Gregory Hutchinson, Lewis Nash (drums).
Personnel: Monty Alexander, Benny Green (piano); Gregory Hutchinson, Lewis Nash , Karriem Riggins (drums).
Liner Note Author: John Clayton.
Recording information: Avatar Studios, Studio A, New York, NYScullers Jazz Clu (11/21/1994-12/17/2000); Clinton Recording Studio, Studio A, New York, NY (11/21/1994-12/17/2000); DoubleTree Guest Suite Hotel, Boston, MA (11/21/1994-12/17/2000); The Blue Note, New York, NY (11/21/1994-12/17/2000).
Editor: Paul Blakemore.
What a curious, if delightful, package Walk On is. Comprised of two CDs -- the first is the final Ray Brown trio date from January 2000 with Geoffrey Keezer and Karriem Riggins, and the second is two separate live shows from 1994 and 1996 respectively -- the players range from Keezer to Monty Alexander and Bennie Green, bassists Josh Clayton and Christian McBride, and drummers Lewis Nash and Gregory Hutchinson. Disc one is pure Brown majesty as he and the band literally walk, very sprightly, through a series of classics such as "You Are My Sunshine," "Stella by Starlight," Wes Montgomery's "Fried Pies," and "Sunday." But more importantly, they showcase the delicate intricacy of Brown's own compositions on the three-part "Ray Brown Suite," the illustriously lush "Hello Girls" -- with a stunning interplay dialogue between Keezer and Brown -- and the funky "Lined With a Groove" that reveals the Horace Silver soul touch in its melodic line. Disc two is from gigs that showcase the different sides of Brown as a leader: the driven, intense improviser who found a groove and extrapolated upon it until it turned into something else, with Hutchinson and Green on "F.S.R." and "Stardust"; the loping strolling bassist who can drive a band with his easy, slippery phrasing, with Alexander and Nash on "Woogie Boogie"; and the dialogue artist concerned with dynamics and the intricacy of a melody's separate harmonic elements, with McBride, Keezer, and Clayton on "Down by the Riverside." In each case, Brown is the consummate listener, the very archetype of economic musical wisdom and a supreme lyricist in his phrasing. One of the most revealing things about this set is how Brown's true worth as a composer, bandleader, and improviser is not yet known and probably won't be for decades to come. But make no mistake; it will be. This may not be the finest of Brown's moments on record, but the recordings are fine, shining examples of his artistry, and they are, alas, the final examples. ~ Thom Jurek
Some of My Best Friends Are...The Piano Players (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Monty Alexander & Russell Malone [Bonus Disc] (2-CD)
$9.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Amazing Hits (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE