Ray Brown Some of My Best Friends Are...The Piano Players
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Ray Brown ~ Some of My Best Friends Are...The Trumpet Players (2-CD) $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 15, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Telarc
JazzTimes - 6/95, p.98"...two generations of pianists...all come off well in a collection that sounds less like a cutting session than a collection of interviews....Brown is at top form on the bottom line, including some incredibly rich arco work that seems almost a surfeit in light of his impeccable intonation and time..."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Bag's Groove - (featuring Ahmad Jamal)
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Love Walked In - (featuring Ahmad Jamal)
- $0.99 on iTunes3.St. Louis Blues - (featuring Ahmad Jamal)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Lover - (featuring Benny Green)
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Just A Gigolo - (featuring Benny Green)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Ray Of Light - (featuring Benny Green)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Giant Steps - (featuring Dado Moroni)
- $0.99 on iTunes8.My Romance - (featuring Dado Moroni)
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Close Your Eyes - (featuring Geoff Keezer)
- $0.99 on iTunes10.St. Tropez - (featuring Oscar Peterson)
- $0.99 on iTunes11.How Come You Do Me? - (featuring Oscar Peterson)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Ray Brown (bass), Benny Green, Ahmad Jamal, Geoff Keezer, Dado Moroni, Oscar Peterson (piano), Lewis Nash (drums).
Recorded at Clinton Recording Studio, New York on November 21, 1995 and Glenn Gould Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada on November 18, 1994.
This is part of Ray Brown's Some Of My Best Friends Are... series.
Contains 13 tracks.
On his Telarc disc, Ray Brown teams up with five different piano players but, rather than this being a tribute to the veteran bassist (who has solo space on every selection), the CD ends up being a celebration of the great Oscar Peterson because Benny Green, Dado Moroni, and Geoff Keezer have, to various degrees, based their styles on Peterson's, but the indivual standout is actually Ahmad Jamal, who had never previously recorded with Brown. Together with Lewis Nash they perform two blues and "Love Walked In," all renditions that make a liberal use of space and pay close attention to dynamics. Benny Green, who plays his "Ray of Light" along with two standards, had performed regularly with Brown in recent years and his selections offer few surprises. Dodo Moroni is fine on "My Romance" and inserts a bit of Erroll Garner on "Giant Steps," while Geoff Keezer (who had also never played with Brown) swings well on "Close Your Eyes." The CD concludes with a reunion between Oscar Peterson (who had recently recovered from a stroke) and Brown on "St. Tropez" and the upbeat "How Come You Do Me like You Do?" The results overall are pleasing and swinging (serving as a sampler of the pianists' styles), but not all that innovative. ~ Scott Yanow
Ray BrownMonty Alexander & Russell Malone [Bonus Disc] (2-CD)
$9.99 Super Savings
Monty Alexander & Russell Malone [Bonus Disc] (2-CD)
$9.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
How Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The... (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE