The Big Combo
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available in a set:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 11, 2005
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- (unspecified) - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Richard Conte, Jean Wallace, Brian Donlevy, Robert Middleton, Lee Van Cleef, Earl Holliman, Helen Walker, Jay Adler & John Hoyt|
|Directed by||Joseph H. Lewis|
|Edited by||Robert S. Eisen|
|Screenwriting by||Philip Yordan|
|Composition by||David Raksin|
|Produced by||Sidney Harmon|
|Director of Photography:||John Alton|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Police detective Leonard Diamond (Cornel Wilde) has two dangerous obsessions. He's on a reckless, hell-bent crusade to bring down smooth and sadistic gangster, Mr. Brown (Richard Conte) and wracked by insatiable desire for good-girl-gone-wrong Susan Lowell (Jean Wallace), Brown's captive lover. In mortal terror, Susan is helpless to escape from the lust-filled nightmare of her life. Meanwhile, Brown's lieutenant-in-crime, McClure (Brian Donlevy) plots with cruel hoods Fante (Lee Van Cleef) and Mingo (Earl Holliman) to overthrow their boss. In Brown's unforgiving world, however, defection and disloyalty are punishable by cruel and unusual death.
Photographed by legendary master of sinister shadows, John Alton (I, the Jury; He Walked By Night; The Lady and the Monster), The Big Combo is shocking and hard-boiled Hollywood noir, and not for the faint of heart.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 57 ratings.
What a classic noir thriller!
This crime gem features an amazing performance of unbridled sadism by the great Richard Conte as syndicate head Mr. Brown. Conte was one of cinema's best yet underrated tough guys, and in "The Big Combo" he really shines. It is without question his best gangster role. Brian Donlevy likewise turns in a super performance, a complex role as the despicable yet oddly sympathetic one-time Combination big shot, now reduced to playing Conte's "yes man".
As gangster films go, "The Big Combo" is at the top of the list - providing a dark, perverse storyline featuring a determined but flawed hero (Cornel Wilde), a troubled dame (Jean Wallace) who is the object of Wilde's obsession, and two mob enforcers (Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman) who share more than a little affection between them. Rounding out the cast is Robert Middleton, adding authority in one of his rare good guy roles.
The film is highlighted by many memorable scenes and innuendos that were considered quite daring for the time.
Director Joseph H. Lewis was a master of the crime genre, having previously helmed the classic "Gun Crazy" (1950). But I feel that "The Big Combo" stands as his best work, as it certainly oversteps the cliches often found in crime dramas - even in its depiction of cop vs. hood.
Brutal, taut and exciting, "The Big Combo" is a must for all fans of film noir!
- Sales Rank: 3,812
- UPC: 089218452795
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.