Gato Barbieri The Shadow of the Cat
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Gato Barbieri ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $8.34
- by Gato Barbieri ~ Caliente! ~ $9.88
- by Gato Barbieri ~ Chapter Three: Viva Emiliano Zapata ~ $10.56
- by Gato Barbieri ~ Finest Hour ~ $14.99
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 26, 2004
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Peak Records
- 1.Chico, El
- 2.The Shadow of the Cat
- 3.Last Kiss
- 4.If I Was Your Woman - (featuring Cassandra Reed)
- 5.Tierra del Fuego (Land of Fire)
- 6.Beautiful Walk
- 7.Ai Ai Ai Ai
- 9.Para Todos (For Everyone)
- 10.Blue Habenera
- 11.Last Tango (Theme From Last Tango in Paris)
- 12.Si Tu Me Quisieras (If I Was Your Woman)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Gato Barbieri (vocals, tenor saxophone); Lisa Fisher, Cassandra Reed (vocals); Herb Alpert (trumpet); Barry Danielian (trumpet, horn); Ozzie Melendez (trombone); Oscar Hernandez (piano); Jason Miles (synthesizers);Dal Lowe, Romero Lubambo (acoustic guitar); Dean Brown (electric guitar); Russ Freeman, Jeff Mironov, Peter White (guitar); Mark Egan, James Genus, Will Lee (bass); Vinnie Coliauta, Richie Morales (drums); Steven Wold (drums, percussion, programming); Sheila E., Marc Quinones (percussion).
Principally recorded at Beartracks and House Of O, Suffern, New York, Live Wire Productions and Shelter Island Sound, New York, New York.
THE SHADOW OF THE CAT was nominated for the 2003 Latin Grammy for Best Latin Jazz Album.
Personnel: Gato Barbieri (vocals, tenor saxophone); Lisa Fischer, Cassandra Reed (vocals, background vocals); Jeff Mironov, Russ Freeman , Peter White (guitar); Dal Romeo Lowe, Romero Lubambo (acoustic guitar); Dean Brown (electric guitar); Jason Miles (strings, brass, piano, keyboards, synthesizer, drums, percussion, programming, drum programming, percussion programming); Herb Alpert, Barry Danielian (trumpet); Ozzie Melendez (trombone); Oscar Hernandez (piano, electric piano); Richie Morales (drums, percussion); Steve Wolf (drums, percussion programming); Vinnie Colaiuta (drums); Sheila E. (congas, percussion); Marc Qui¤ones, Cyro Baptista (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Doug Oberkircher.
Liner Note Authors: Gato Barbieri; Jason Miles .
Photographer: Sonny Mediana.
Arranger: Jason Miles .
According to the press biography disseminated with advance copies of Gato Barbieri's Peak Records debut, The Shadow of the Cat, he was nearing 70 at the time of this release (previous published accounts would have put him at only 67) and this is the 50th album on which he is either featured or is the leader. One cannot, then, reasonably expect the old cat to have learned new tricks. Nor has his new label required him to; the company, run by contemporary jazz guitarist Russ Freeman, specializes in a melodic, commercial style of jazz. Producer Jason Miles (whose previous clients include Miles Davis and Luther Vandross) seems to have aimed at re-creating the sound of Barbieri's mid-'70s albums for A&M Records, even to the point of enlisting trumpeter Herb Alpert (the "A" in A&M) as a prominent guest ("Para Todos [For Everyone]" finds Barbieri and Alpert dueling pleasantly) and having Barbieri recut his signature tune, "Last Tango (Theme From Last Tango in Paris)." A bevy of other smooth jazz artists also sit in, including the company head, of course, along with some percussionists enlisted to give the album the appropriate Latin flavor. Buoyed by such support, Barbieri sounds good, soloing warmly throughout the disc, and maybe that's the real story here -- that, at some point in his late sixties, the veteran musician, bedeviled by health and emotional problems for much of the 1990s, is back to playing in his most appealing style in the 21st century. ~ William Ruhlmann
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE