Roy Ayers Virgin Ubiquity: Remixed (2-CD)
- Released: January 27, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Rapster
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Holiday - (Kenny Dope Mix)
- 2.Funky in the Hole - (Nicolay Mix)
- 3.Third Time - (Vikter Duplaix Mix, Vikter Duplaix remix)
- 4.What's the T? - (Kings of Soul Feelin Soul Mix, Kings Of Soul remix)
- 5.Sugar - (Joey Negro Mix)
- 6.Kwajilori - (King Britt Scuba Mix)
- 7.Searching - (Osunlade Yoruba Suite Mix)
- 8.Liquid Love - (Liquid Love Latin Mix, Aloe Blacc (E. Nathaniel Dawkins, III) remix)
- 9.I Am Your Mind, Pt. 2 - (Mr. V Sole Channel Mix, Mr. V remix)
- 10.Third Time - (Jeremy's All-New Late Night Slide mix, Jeremy Newall remix, Jeremy's AllNew Late Night Slide)
- 11.Touch of Class - (Matthew Herbert's Touch of Ass Mix, Matthew 'Odd Smell' Herbert remix)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Mystic Voyage - (DJ Marky & XRS Mix)
- 2.Brand New Feeling - (Phil Asher Main Mix, Phil Asher remix)
- 3.I Am Your Mind, Pt. 2 - (Pepe Bradock Mix, Pepe Bradock remix)
- 4.Tarzan - (Osunlade Yoruba Soul Mix)
- 5.Funk in the Whole - (Platinum Pied Pipers Mix)
- 6.Kwajilori - (Sir Piers Mix)
- 7.Touch of Class - (Sean P Classic Touch Mix, Sean P. remix)
- 8.Mystic Voyage - (Jeremy & Simbad's Crosstown Mix, Jeremy Newall / Simbad remix)
- 9.Tarzan - (Ame Mix)
- 10.Holiday - (DJ Spinna Mix, DJ Spinna remix)
- 11.I Am Your Mind, Pt. 2 - (Basement Jaxx Classic Mix, Basement Jaxx remix)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Roy Ayers (vibraphone); Ivana Santilli (vocals, grand piano); Vanessa Freeman (vocals); Chuck Treece (guitar); Tim Motzer (Spanish guitar); Troy Simms (saxophone); Alix Alvarez (Fender Rhodes piano); DJ Spinna (synthesizer); Selan Lerner (ARP synthesizer, keyboard bass); Toni Economides (programming).
Audio Mixers: DJ Spinna; Andreas Schorpp; King Britt; Steven Barkan; Toni Economides; Vikter Duplaix.
Audio Remixers: Sean P; DJ Spinna; Jeremy Newall; E. Nathaniel Dawkins III; King Britt; Vikter Duplaix; Phil Asher.
Recording information: Kay Recording Studios; The Hut, Philly; The I'lle, Puerto Rico.
Given that Roy Ayers really never left the spotlight, it would be inappropriate to call any sort of rediscovery or renaissance of his music a comeback. However, the resurgence of interest in the jazz musician's expansive and innovative catalog has prompted ears both new and old to give Ayers his long overdue credit as a soul-jazz pioneer. This two-disc set features remixes from BBE's excellent Virgin Ubiquity, Vol. 2: Unreleased Recordings 1976-1981, and brings a veritable A-list who's who of soul/electronic/downtempo remixers to the plate. House gurus Kenny Dope and Osunlade offer up heavy sessions of tasteful grooves without overshadowing the genius of the original tracks. King Britt also contributes a strong reinterpretation of "Kwajilori," while DJ Spinna and the Platinum Pied Pipers focus their remixes more toward the downtempo/hip-hop crowd. At two discs in length, normally a project of this size could be trimmed to a single disc for an excellent release. But there's something for everyone here, regardless of your subgenre affiliation. At least it's not remixing the classics in a feeble attempt to update an artist's catalog, and that in itself is a breath of fresh air. ~ Rob Theakston
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!