Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 8, 2013
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Criterion
- Note: Two Audio Commentaries: One By Hellman And Filmmaker Allison Anders And One By Screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer And Author David N. Meyer
- Interviews With Hellman, Actor James Taylor, Musician Kris Kristofferson, Producer Michael Laughlin, And Production Manager Walter Coblenz
- Rare Screen Test Outtakes
- Performance And Image, A Look At The '55 Chevy Used In The Movie And The Film's Locations In 2007
- Color Me Gone, Photos And Publicity Material From The Film
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS HD Master Audio
- PCM Mono
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 10/15/1999
"...What the movie has is a feel for the road and out-of-the-way restaurants and gas stations matched by few others..."
Total Film - 07/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "As a study in obsession and emotional dislocation TWO-LANE BLACKTOP is in a class of its own."
New York Times - 12/18/2007
"Mr. Hellman films the flat, empty landscapes with his eyes on the horizon line, as if he were John Ford following a wagon train on its way west."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/2008
"Hellman and screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer keep it as stripped down as almost anything in contemporary European art cinema -- it's both abstract and concrete."
Cars / Automobiles |
Essential Cinema |
Road Trips |
- Theatrical Release: 1971
- Theatrical rerelease: SEPTEMBER 29, 2000 (NY)
- Critically-acclaimed, this genre-definer was restored and re-released in a new 35mm print in 2000, and was re-released theatrically on September 29, 2000 for a limited run in New York City.
- In April 1971, Esquire magazine called TWO-LANE BLACKTOP "movie of the year" and published Rudy Wurlitzer's screenplay for the film.