Louis Armstrong I Like Jazz: The Essence of Louis Armstrong
- Released: October 25, 1994
- Label: Phontastic
- 1.Reminiscin' With Louis - Louis Armstrong / Art Ford
- 2.Chattanooga Stomp - King Oliver's Jazz Band
- 3.Copenhagen - Fletcher Henderson And His Orchestra
- 4.Cake Walking Babies - Clarence Williams Blue Five
- 5.St. Louis Blues - Bessit Smith / Louis Armstrong / Fred Longshaw
- 6.Sugarfoot Stomp - Fletcher Henderson And His Orchestra
- 7.Heebie Jeebies - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five
- 8.Big Butter And Egg Man - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five
- 9.Wild Man Blues - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Seven
- 10.Got No Blues - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five
- 11.Hotter Than That - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five
- 12.West End Blues - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Five
- 13.Muggles - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
- 14.Knockin' A Jug - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
- 15.Some Of These Days - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
- 16.Carry Me Back To Old Virginny - Louis Armstrong And The Mills Brothers
- 17.I Double Dare You - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
- 18.I Can't Give You Anything But Love - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
- 19.Jeepers Creepers - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
- 20.Blues Of Yesterday - Louis Armstrong And His Hot Seven
- 21.Where The Blues Were Born In New Orleans - Louis Armstrong And His Dixieland Seven
- 22.Back O'Town Blues - Louis Armstrong And The All Stars
- 23.A Song Was Born - Louis Armstrong And The All Stars
Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald.
Digitally remastered by Larry Keyes (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
This is part of the Columbia/Legacy I Like Jazz series.
Although it would be wrong to think that a mere 12 songs and 44 minutes could effectively elucidate the essence of a man whom many consider to be one of the most important and influential musician of the 20th century, this CD is a fine--if brief--introduction to the genius of Louis Armstrong. The disc primarily includes studio recordings of his best-known '50s and '60s pop hits, and some fine trumpet playing and stellar vocal performances along the way. Casual music listeners looking for the songs they remember will find exactly that--the versions of "Mack the Knife," "On the Sunny Side of the Street," and "When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob Bobbin' Along" are good ones. Overall, this disc is a good starting point, but anyone with more than a passing interest in Louis Armstrong's music will do better to buy several discs or a more extensive collection.
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(20)
$3.99 Super Savings
An Evening with Louis Armstrong at Pasadena Civic... (CD)(6)
$12.58 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE