The Tokens Wimoweh: The Best of the Tokens
13 copies available
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- 2.B'waNina (Pretty Girl)
- 3.La Bamba
- 4.Hear The Bells (Ringing Bells)
- 5.You're Nothing But A Girl
- 6.Tonight I Met An Angel
- 8.When I Go To Sleep At Night
- 9.A Thousand Miles Away
- 10.Please Write
- 11.Dream Angel Good Night
- 12.Somewhere There's A Girl - (previously unreleased)
- 13.I'll Do My Crying Tomorrow - (previously unreleased)
- 14.A-B-C, 1-2-3
- 15.Tonight, Tonight
- 16.Dry Your Eyes
- 17.Sweet Laurie, Fair Laurie - (previously unreleased)
- 18.My Candy Apple Vette
- 19.My Friend's Car
- 20.When Summer Is Through
Producers: Hugo & Luigi.
Compilation producer: Paul Williams.
Includes liner notes by Colin Escott.
Diogital remastered by Jay Newland and Dennis Ferrante.
The Tokens' unlikely blend of doo wop and what was, in folk circles, termed "ethnic music," resulted in one enormous and enduring hit: "The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)." After that, it was all downhill for the group during their RCA tenure -- the biggest of their followup hits reached a modest number 55 on the charts. Wimoweh: The Best of the Tokens rounds up all six of their chart entries, some of which -- like "B'Wanina (Pretty Girl)" and "La Bamba" -- repeated the "Wimoweh" formula. When those failed, the Tokens returned to straightforward doo wop material ("Tonight I Met an Angel"), covers of other vocal groups' hits ("Sincerely," "A Thousand Miles Away"), and, finally, Beach Boys-style car songs ("My Friend's Car"). The anthology also compiles a number of choice cuts and oddities that fall in-between, from the gorgeous "Somewhere There's a Girl" to the weirdly insulting love song "You're Nothing But a Girl." There's a "Little Darlin'" retread titled "Dry Your Eyes" and several songs with "night" or "tonight" in the title in apparent reference to the group's first two hits. Wimoweh: The Best of the Tokens also includes three previously unreleased songs for collectors. For those who couldn't get enough of the Tokens, several additional recordings from their RCA period were made available the same year on a budget collection, The Lion Sleeps Tonight. ~ Greg Adams
1910 Fruitgum Co.The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD) View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 6,818
- UPC: 886972510620
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 (6-CD Box Set)
$14.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 1 (6-CD Box Set)
$24.95 on SALE
Millennium's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 (Audio Cassette)
$1.98 on SALE
- 311 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Evolver (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Greatest Hits '93-'03 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Live (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE