- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.I Got Rhythm - Benny Goodman Sextet
- 2.Oh! Lady, Be Good - Jones-Smith Inc./Count Basie
- 3.Let's Call The Whole Thing Off - Billie Holiday
- 4.Nice Work If You Can Get It - Sarah Vaughan
- 5.'S Wonderful - Ruby Braff
- 6.Our Love Is Here To Stay - J.J. Johnson
- 7.Man I Love, The - Erroll Garner
- 8.Who Cares? - Stan Getz
- 9.Bess, You Is My Woman Now - Teddy Wilson & His Trio
- 10.I've Got A Crush On You - Ella Fitzgerald
- 11.It Ain't Necessarily So - Miles Davis
- 12.Liza (All The Clouds'll Rollaway) - Thelonious Monk
- 13.How Long Has This Been Goin' On? - Dexter Gordon
- 14.Someone To Watch Over Me - Marcus Roberts
- 15.Summertime - George Benson
- 16.Somebody Loves Me - Roy Eldridge All-Stars
Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using 20-bit technology.
This record features jazz performers putting their own spin on one of American history's greatest composers. His music cuts across stylistic boundaries: the traditional, the modern, the avant-garde. Musicians of all backgrounds and genres, from Duke Ellington to Elvis Costello, have taken off their clothes and skinny-dipped in the ocean of Gershwin's music for tunes and/or inspiration.
This collection spotlights swing-era performers (Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson), modern mainstream (J.J. Johnson, Errol Garner, Stan Getz), innovators (Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis), and singers beyond era or category: Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald. If your taste tends more towards jazzy interpretations of popular song but you don't yet know Gershwin's music, this is a great get-acquainted point (and a good intro to the spectrum of jazz in general).