- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: February 3, 2009
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: Universal Studios
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Subtitles - English, (SDH), Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Going Back to Xanadu
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 07/11/2008
"[T]he ELO-fueled songs are as awesome as ever." -- Grade: B
A young album-painter learns a lesson about daring to dream when he is kissed by a magical muse. Throwing caution to the wind, he partners up with a wealthy former jazz musician to start-up a roller disco nightclub, but finds that one of his dreams might be too lofty--even for the powers that be. A modern musical featuring the musical talents of Olivia Newton-John, Electric Light Orchestra, the Tubes, and Cliff Richard, with a touch of cartoon from animator Don Bluth.
Zeus, worried about the fate of a young painter, chooses one of the nine muses who preside over the arts to inspire the artist to greatness. So the lovely goddess Kira descends to earth and encourages her ward to open a disco roller skating rink. First, she locates a clarinet player whom she inspired in the 1940s, and convinces him to return to music by funding the rink. Then the three transform an abandoned building into a neon-lit, rock and roll heaven. But now that the painter's dream has come true, the time has come for Kira to return to Mount Olympus. The only problem is, the two have fallen in love, and do not want to part. But that's what will have to happen unless they can convince the gods that love is the ultimate dream.
- Remake of the 1947 film "Down to Earth," starring Rita Hayworth, about a muse who inspires a playwright to write a musical. "Down to Earth" is itself a sequel to "Here Comes Mr. Jordan."
- Last dramatic role for dancer/actor/choreographer/director Gene Kelly. He died on February 2, 1996 in California, after suffering a series of strokes, at the age of 83. He was born, Eugene Curran Kelly, August 23, 1912 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Tracks include:
"I'm Alive," "All Over the World," "The Fall," "Don't Walk Away" & "Xanadu" (performed with Olivia Newton-John) composed by Jeff Lynne and performed by Electric Light Orchestra
"Magic," "Whenever You're Away from Me" (performed with Gene Kelly), "Suddenly" (performed with Cliff Richard), "Dancin'" (performed by The Tubes), & "Suspended in Time," composed by John Farrar and performed by Olivia Newton-John.
- Additional cast: Katie Hanley (Sandra); Lynn Latham, Melinda Phelps, Cherise Bate, Juliette Marshall, Marilyn Tokuda, Yvette Van Voorhees, Teri Beckerman (Muses 2-8); Marty Davis (Male Guard); Cindy Leake (40's Singer #2); John "Fee" Waybill (80's Rock Singer); and Maria V. Langston (Dizzy Heights).
- Additional credits: Jerry Trent (choreographer); Don Bluth Productions (animation sequences); Dorse Lanpher (special effects); Lisa Maron (assistant director); Milton C. Burrow (supervising sound editor); Fred Prior (music editor); Harry Blake & Craig Smith (makeup); and Candy Conery (hairstylist).
- Color by Technicolor.
- Copyright 1979 Universal Pictures.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 363 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 26,464
- UPC: 025192015878
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item