Folkways: A Vision Shared - A Tribute to Woody Guthrie & Leadbelly
by Various Artists
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.97 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Woody Guthrie ~ The Asch Recordings, Volume 1: This Land Is Your Land ~ $15.28
- by Woody Guthrie / Lead Belly ~ Folkways: The Original Vision ~ $15.28
- by Woody Guthrie ~ Ultimate Collection (2-CD Import) ~ $8.51
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Sylvie - Sweet Honey in the Rock
- 2.Pretty Boy Floyd - Bob Dylan
- 3.Do Re Mi - John Mellencamp
- 4.I Ain't Got No Home - Bruce Springsteen
- 5.Jesus Christ - U2
- 6.Rock Island Line - Little Richard / Fishbone
- 7.East Texas Red - Arlo Guthrie
- 8.Philadelphia Lawyer - Willie Nelson
- 9.Hobo's Lullaby - Emmylou Harris
- 10.Bourgeois Blues, The - Taj Mahal
- 11.Gray Goose - Sweet Honey in the Rock
- 12.Goodnight Irene - Brian Wilson
- 13.Vigilante Man - Bruce Springsteen
- 14.This Land Is Your Land - Pete Seeger / Sweet Honey in the Rock / Doc Watson / The Little Red School House Choir
The booklet of FOLKWAYS: A VISION SHARED also includes the Smithsonian/Folkways discography of Woody Guthrie and Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter.
Includes liner notes by Anthony Seeger, Peter Guralnick and Bob Dylan.
This tribute to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly might be fueled by superstar appearances, but it is the strength of the songs by the two honored legends that is the true highlight of this collection. Woody Guthrie was a folk troubadour who documented the often hard life and times of his America, while Leadbelly explored his vision through an amalgam of folk, gospel, blues and pop. Honored by the contemporary musicians they greatly influenced, the two musical icons come alive thorugh new interpretations of their durable songs.
Highlights include the obvious: Dylan sings his idol Woody Guthrie's epic ballad "Pretty Boy Floyd," a track powerfully displaying the potency of a majestic song, a simple, distinctive vocal and acoustic guitar. The always pitch-perfect, ethereal Emmylou Harris performs a mesmerizing "Hobo's Lullaby." John Mellencamp proves his roots with a rendition of Guthrie's "Do Re Mi," exhibiting how Woody was the original voice of the heartland. Bruce Springsteen gives a searing acoustic performance of Woody's Dustbowl ballad "I Ain't Go No Home" and then rocks out with a Stones-ish "Vigilante Man." U2 leave their distinctive stamp on a frenetic romp through the Guthrie-penned "Jesus Christ." The background voices even sound like an updated version of the Weavers, a revered vocal quartet which first popularized Guthrie and Leadbelly's classics.
The most upbeat cut is without a doubt Little Richard and rock/punk/funk stylist Fishbone's raucous charge through Leadbelly's classic "Rock Island Line." Taj Mahal injects a welcome shot of blues with a biting take on "The Bourgeois Blues," and Beach Boy Brian Wilson offers up a version of "Goodnight Irene" that flows in the same airy vein as his own hit "Sloop John B." The album ends with a Pete Seeger-led let's-all-join-in version of the collection's most famous song of all, "This Land Is Your Land."
A VISION SHARED is a must for any folk collector and an excellent introduction to two of America's greatest musical treasures.
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$11.03 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 49,395
- UPC: 886972436227
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)
$11.65 Super Savings
Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company [Repertoire] (CD)
$13.58 Super Savings