- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 13, 1999
- Originally Released: 1953
- Label: Echo Bridge
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Super Jewel Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Trivia Quiz
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Harry, we must beware of these men. They're desperate characters. Not one of them looked at my legs."
- Gwendolen Chelm (Jennifer Jones)
"Trouble with England, it's all pomp and no circumstance. You're very wise to get out of it, escape while you can."
- Billy Dannreuther (Humphrey Bogart)
"Time! Time! What is time' The Swiss manufacture it. The French hoard it. Italians want it. Americans say it is money. Hindus say it does not exist. Do you know what I say' I say time is a crook."
- O'Hara (Peter Lorre)
"Only the phonies liked it. It's a mess!"
- Humphrey Bogart on the film
"The formula of 'Beat the Devil' is that everyone is slightly absurd."
- John Huston on the film
Chicago Sun-Times - 11/26/2000
"...The movie has above all effortless charm....We can relax and share the amusement of the actors, who are essentially being asked to share their playfulness..."
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2004
"Capote's dialogue is often witty...and the actors seem to be enjoying themselves."
John Huston and Truman Capote co-wrote the screenplay while working on location. A whimsical parody of The Maltese Falcon and other 1940's detective movies in which Bogart so often starred (and Huston directed).Tells of the exploits of a group of travelers on a steamboat who each hopes to carry off a huge swindle in the uranium fields of Northern Africa. While not a commercial success upon its release, the film has come to define the genre of spy movie spoofs.
Scams And Cons |
Theatrical Release |
- James Helvick was the pseudonym for novelist Claud Cockburn.
- Filmed on location in Italy and in Shepperton Studios in England.
- Released in the United States in March 1954. Released in UK in 1953.
- Original running time was 100 minutes. Video version runs 89 minutes.
- Co-produced by Santana.
Additional distribution company: Independent Film Distributors.
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Censors.