Whistle Bait: 25 Rockabilly Rave-Ups
by Various Artists
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Entertainment Weekly - 8/11/00, p.83"...These songs leap from the speakers like half-crazed, priapic cartoons..." - Rating: B+
- 1.Whistle Bait - Larry Collins
- 2.You're Humbuggin' Me - Lefty Frizzell
- 3.Snatch It and Grab It - Freddie Hart
- 4.Raw-Hide - Link Wray / The Wraymen
- 5.Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Johnny Horton
- 6.Wild Wild Young Men - Rose Maddox
- 7.Bop-a-Lena - Ronnie Self
- 8.Ugly and Slouchy - The Maddox Brothers & Rose
- 9.Everybody's Rockin' - Werly Fairburn
- 10.Jive After Five - Carl Perkins
- 11.Bo Bo Ska Diddle Daddle - Wayne Walker
- 12.Ah, Poor Little Baby - Billy "Crash" Craddock
- 13.Hoy Hoy - The Collins Kids
- 14.Dig Boy Dig - Freddie Hart
- 15.Guitar Rock and Roll - Joe Maphis
- 16.I Got a Hole in My Pocket - Little Jimmy Dickens
- 17.Big Fool - Ronnie Self
- 18.All Over Again - Johnny Cash
- 19.Romp Stompin' Boogie - Jay Cee Hill
- 20.Baboon Boogie - Jimmy Murphy
- 21.Good Rockin' Baby - Sid King & the Five Strings
- 22.Rocky Road Blues - Ronnie Self
- 23.Pink Pedal Pushers - Carl Perkins
- 24.I'm Coming Home - Johnny Horton
- 25.Mean Mama Blues - Marty Robbins
Producers include: Don Law, Grady Martin, Norman Petty, Frank Jones, Joe Maphis.
Compilation producers: Eddie Gorodetsky, Bruce Dickenson.
Recorded between 1955 & 1959. Includes liner notes by Eddie Gorodetsky.
Digitally remastered by Mark Wilder (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
In the 1950s there was a wild fusion music that shocked and scandalized the world, and laid the groundwork for rock & roll: it was called rockabilly. A mutant variant of country music (then often referred to as "hillbilly"), raw and laced with the electricity of the blues and the romp of boogie woogie, it was the sound that gave birth to Elvis Presley and Carl Perkins's careers and gave the Beatles powerful inspiration. WHISTLE BAIT collects 25 early-to-mid-'50s prime rockabilly gems from the vaults of Okeh and Columbia.
Highlights include: the wild, scary guitar work of Little Jimmy Dickens' "I Got a Hole in My Pocket"; the hopped-up, stripped-down honky-tonk of Johnny Horton's "I'm Coming Home"; and the scorching, almost berserk "Bop-A-Lena" by Ronnie Self, which makes the Cramps sound like Garth Brooks. There are also a few tunes by country performers Freddie Hart, Lefty Frizzell and Marty Robbins trying their hand at rockabilly, and they don't do badly at all. This set is highly recommended to rockabilly collectors, music fans who want to investigate the roots of rock & roll and non-Nashville country, and rockers who think there was nothing going on before 1965.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 32 ratings.
Based on 32 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 6,669
- UPC: 886972398426
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Oldies: Rock 'N' Roll Music Categories:
The A-Bones Not Now! (CD) ~
$13.10 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Bryan Adams (CD) ~
$11.12 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Icon (CD) ~
$7.09 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Live! Live! Live! (CD) ~
$6.74 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Reckless (CD) ~
$9.72 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE