A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan (Live)
by Various Artists
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Entertainment Weekly - 8/9/96, p.58"...This heartfelt live reunion commemorates that...1990 blues fest that Vaughan played the day before the guitarist's fatal helicopter crash..." - Rating: B+
Q - 9/96, p.1244 Stars (out of 5) - "...this stomping set finds the assembled luminaries giving their all on interpretations of Vaughan's greatest songs....Clearly no one was going to give less than their best on this occasion and the result is a surprisingly joyous tribute..."
- 1.Pride and Joy - Bonnie Raitt
- 2.Texas Flood - Jimmie Vaughan
- 3.Telephone Song - B.B. King
- 4.Long Way From Home - Buddy Guy
- 5.Ain't Gone 'N Give up on Your Love - Eric Clapton
- 6.Love Struck Baby - Robert Cray
- 7.Cold Shot - Dr. John
- 8.Six Strings Down - Jimmie Vaughan / Eric Clapton / Bonnie Raitt / Robert Cray / B.B. King / Buddy Guy / Dr. John / Art Neville
- 9.Tick Tock - Jimmie Vaughan / Eric Clapton / Bonnie Raitt / Robert Cray / B.B. King / Buddy Guy / Dr. John / Art Neville
- 10.Srv Shuffle - Jimmie Vaughan / Eric Clapton / Bonnie Raitt / Robert Cray / B.B. King / Buddy Guy / Dr. John / Art Neville
Double Trouble: Reese Wynans (keyboards); Tommy Shannon (bass); Chris Layton (drums).
Tilt-A-Whirl Band: Reginald "Briz" Brisbon, Leroy Burns, Dennis King (vocals); Denny Freeman (piano, guitar); Bill Willis (Hammond B-3 organ); George Rains (drums).
Recorded live at the Austin City Limits Studio, Austin, Texas on May 11, 1995. Includes liner notes by Alan Paul.
Recorded live in Austin, Texas on May 11, 1995
"SRV Shuffle," performed by Jimmie Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray, B.B.King, Buddy Guy, Dr. John and Art Neville, won a 1997 Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance. Eric Clapton's performance of "Ain't Gone 'N Give Up On Your Love" was nominated for a 1997 Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance.
The helicopter crash that took Stevie Ray Vaughan's life in August 1990 robbed the world of a musician whose incredible playing led the wave for a new generation of blues players. Organized by brother Jimmie Vaughan, this tribute features many of Vaughan's heroes (B.B. King, Buddy Guy) and friends (Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Dr. John, Art Neville) backed by his old group, Double Trouble.
Bonnie Raitt kicks things off by reconstructing "Pride And Joy" as a shuffle that she punctuates with fiery slide playing. Jimmie Vaughan follows with an interpretation of "Texas Flood" that resonates with a fat tone and soulful singing, and then Cray gives a Chuck Berry-like reading of "Love Struck Baby." Although Clapton does some of his most emotive playing on "Ain't Gone 'N Give Up On Your Love," drawing from the same wells of inspiration as the late guitarist, the tastiest cuts are the three on which everyone jams together. A sanctified version of "Tick Tock," led by a gospelly trio of back-up singers, is a highlight.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 39 ratings.
Based on 39 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,840
- UPC: 886972390529
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
I Won't Cry: The Complete Ric & Ron Singles 1959-1964 (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Wheelin' and Dealin': The Definitive Collection (CD)
$7.67 Super Savings
Working In The Coal Mine - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$9.98 on SALE