Columbia Country Classics, Volume 4
by Various Artists
11 copies available
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.I Still Miss Someone - Johnny Cash
- 2.Singing the Blues - Marty Robbins
- 3.Charlie's Shoes - Billy Walker
- 4.Devil Woman - Marty Robbins
- 5.Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
- 6.Jackson - Johnny Cash / June Carter Cash
- 7.Wound Time Can't Erase, A - Stonewall Jackson
- 8.I Can't Seem to Say Goodbye - Hawkshaw Hawkins
- 9.I Think I Know - Marion Worth
- 10.Funny How Time Slips Away - Billy Walker
- 11.Night Life - Ray Price
- 12.Almost Persuaded - David Houston
- 13.My Elusive Dreams - D. Houston / Tammy Wynette
- 14.Stand by Your Man - Tammy Wynette
- 15.Bring Him Safely Home to Me - Sandy Posey
- 16.I Take It on Home - Charlie Rich
- 17.Take Me - George Jones / Tammy Wynette
- 18.Behind Closed Doors - Charlie Rich
- 19.Most Beautiful Girl, The - Charlie Rich
- 20.She's All I Got - Johnny Paycheck
- 21.Picture of Me, A (Without You) - George Jones
- 22.Midnight Oil, The - Barbara Mandrell
- 23.Grand Tour, The - George Jones
- 24.I Never Promised You a Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson
- 25.For the Good Times - Ray Price
- 26.Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone) - Tanya Tucker
Personnel: George Jones, Marty Robbins (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Rich Kienzle.
Recording information: 11/03/1955-01/22/1974.
Photographer: Se¤or McGuire.
The Nashville Sound picks things up in the mid-'50s, and chronicles the rise of country-pop (aka the Nashville sound). In 1955 Marty Robbins made number one on the country charts with a mixture of pristine honky tonk and smooth vocals in "Singing the Blues." This and many of the early tracks on this collection were produced by Columbia's own Nashville sound architect Don Law, who would bring honky tonk to its logical and streamlined extreme; Ray Price still sounds polished even without strings ("Night Life") and Hawkshaw Hawkins jumps into the fray with an appealing choral and country mixture ("I Can't Seem to Say Goodbye"). Law would reach his peak with Billy Walker's seamless, easy listening rendition of the Willie Nelson perennial "Funny How Time Slips Away." Producer Billy Sherrill took the reigns in 1965, and pushed the Nashville sound to its peak, with up-in-the-mix strings and choir, plenty of echo and reverb, and rhythm sections that sounded unobtrusively compact. Sherrill found quick success with David Houston's "Almost Persuaded," Tammy Wynette's career-defining hit "Stand By Your Man," and later with luxuriously arranged hits for George Jones. Charlie Rich's hugely successful crossover hits "Behind Close Doors" and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," though, would be Sherrill's watermark and come to represent the apex of the Nashville sound. Along with Rich's hits, Lynn Anderson's "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden," Barbara Mandrell's "The Midnight Oil," and Tanya Tucker's "Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone)" would set the stage for country's transformation into the ultra-polished music it became during the '80s and '90s. ~ Stephen Cook
The Byrds20 Essential Tracks from the Boxed Set: 1965-1990 (CD)
1910 Fruitgum Co.The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 3,018
- UPC: 886972299020
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Music (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Oldies: Rockabilly Music Categories:
Achy Breaky Ha Ha Ha (CD)
$13.10 Super Savings
- Carl Belew Hits Plus Ones I've Written (CD) ~ $19.18
The Classic Recordings 1956-1959 (2-CD)
$31.37 Super Savings
- Sonny Burgess Very Best of We Wanna Boogie (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
Great Shakin' Fever (CD)
$15.69 Super Savings