|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 1926
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Featured:||Jack Pickford & Eddie Cribbon|
|Directed by||Roland West|
|Music by||Paul David Bergel|
|Original story by||Mary Roberts Rinehart|
|Cinematography by||Arthur Edeson|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 34 ratings.
"Can you keep a secret? Don't reveal the identity of 'The Bat'. Future audiences will fully enjoy this mystery play if left to find out for themselves."
So starts "The Bat". Eventually, the Bat will be unmasked at the end of the movie. The irony is that while you will recognize his face from the cast of characters, you will have no idea who he is.
This movie is otherwise amusing to watch. The opening scene in Gideon Bell's apartment is art deco, good-theater. Even the collar on his robe is amusing (did anyone NOT acting ever wear robes like that?). The story flows smoothly between comedy and drama as the story unfolds. The cast is carefully balanced to give both the comedic and dramatic story lines their due. The use of miniature sets may look cheesy to modern-day audiences but was state-of-the-art back then.
If you like silent movies, give this one a try. It's good fun.
Everyone thinks the "old dark house" genre started with Paul Leni's THE CAT AND THE CANARY in 1927 but there were actually two O.D.H. thriller made a year earlier; Francis X. Bushman Jr in MIDNIGHT FACES and Roland West's THE BAT.
The plot of THE BAT involves a clever theif who wears a batlike mask while he commits his crimes. He is so brazen he actually warns his victims ahead of time when he plans to strike, and he is not above committing murder to get what he wants. After robbing a smalltown bank, for which an innocent teller is blamed, The Bat stashes his loot in a house the thinks is deserted. Unknown to him it has been rented to Cornelia van Gorder (Emily Fitzroy) a mystery writer and her maid Lizzie (Louise Fazenda). Now the problem becomes how to get the loot before anyone else finds it. Will The Bat succeed? Ah, that you must find out for yourself!
Louise Fazenda was a popular comedian in 2 reelers. In fact it is said when Mabel Normand started acting difficult on the set Mack Sennett would say to her "I'll send for Fazenda." to get Mabel back in line. Also in the cast is Jack Pickford, Mary's brother.
THE BAT has been remade several times, the most famous probably being the 1959 remake with Vincent Price, though the 1930 version, THE BAT WHISPERS is now being re-discovered by audiences also. This silent is a first rate combination of mystery and comedy and will keep you guessing as to who The Bat really is right up to the last reel.
- Sales Rank: 6,840
- UPC: 089218447098
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE