Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 30, 2008
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Surround 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround 2.0 - French
- Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Boy, you're very quick."--Dr. Claire Lewicki (Nicole Kidman)
"You oughta see me drive."
- Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise)
Los Angeles Times - 06/27/1990
"...The movie's excitement comes from its racing footage....Tom Cruise's slowly damning grin remains unassailable..."
Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise) is a young, cocky hotshot with little stock car driving experience and a lot of raw talent. Trickle's uncanny ability to make all the right moves on the racetrack wins him the backing of Tim Dolan (Randy Quaid), who wants to put him in a car. Eventually he wins the support of grizzled former driver Harry Hogge (Robert Duvall), a NASCAR legend who sees that Trickle has the potential to be a great driver. Determined to make it to the top, Trickle develops a healthy rivalry with veteran racer Rowdy Burns (Michael Rooker). Along the way, he romances Dr. Claire Lewicki (Nicole Kidman), a beautiful neurosurgeon. Hogge's mentoring (and a potential tragedy) leads Trickle through the dramatic process of self-discovery, which ultimately makes him a better driver. Directed by Tony Scott, DAYS OF THUNDER is reminiscent of his TOP GUN, the film that rocketed Cruise to stardom. Scott uses spectacular driving and racing scenes in this film, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Sound.
Description by Paramount Home Entertainment:
"...comes on like thunder! It's a winner!" - Joel Siegel, WABC-TV/New York "****Best movie of the summer!" - Steve Kmetko, KCBS-TV/Los Angeles From the engine roar and fever pitch of professional stock car racing, Days of Thunder explodes with the most spectacular racing action ever captured on film. Tom Cruise plays race driver Cole Trickle, whose talent and ambition are surpassed only by his burning need to win. Discovered by businessman Tim Daland (Randy Quaid), Cole is teamed with legendary crew chief and car-builder Harry Hogge (Academy Award. winner Robert Duvall) to race for the Winston Cup at the Daytona 500. A fiery crash nearly ends Cole's career and he must turn to a beautiful doctor (Nicole Kidman) to regain his nerve and the true courage needed to race, to win and to live.
An ambitious and seemingly fearless young stock car driver strives to be number one on the NASCAR Circuit. When he is brought together with a racing legend, he not only learns about automobiles, but the older man helps him through a dramatic process of self-discovery.
- Theatrical release: June 1990.
- Filmed in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Arizona.
- Tom Cruise, who was married to Mimi Rogers, met Nicole Kidman--his future second wife--on the set of this film. The couple would later appear together again on-screen in Stanley Kubrick's EYES WIDE SHUT, before filing for divorce in 2001.