A two-fisted seaman meets a beauty stranded in the Yucatan and inadvertently becomes involved in a plot to sabotage the Panama Canal.
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Based on the novel by Jacques Deval
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 22, 2004
- Originally Released: 1934
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Directed by||Henry King|
|Performer:||Sig Ruman, Helen Morgan & Ned Sparks|
|Produced by||Winfield Sheehan|
|Screenplay by||Reginald Berkeley|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Lovely bicycle courier Marie Galante (Ketti Gallian) is shanghaied in Paris by a drunken sea captain who abandons her in the tropics and leaves her for dead. Reviving miles away from civilization, Marie makes her way to the Panama Canal in the hopes of gaining passage back to France. In the port, Marie falls in with the seedy crowd at The Pacific Gardens Nightclub. She befriends boozy singer Tapis (Helen Morgan) and Dr. Crawbett (Spencer Tracy), an undercover secret agent. Inadvertently, she becomes embroiled in a plot by international terrorists who wish to sabotage the canal while agent Crawbett must determine whose side she's on.
Created as a vehicle for the radiant Ketti Gallian, Marie Galante instead launched Spencer Tracy towards stardom and features a standout performance by Helen Morgan, the spectacularly heart-breaking star of James Whale's Show Boat.
Based on the espionage thriller by Jacques Deval, Henry King's film follows a down-on-her-luck performer named Marie Galante (Ketti Gallian, in her first American film) as she is abducted by a drunken sea captain. When Marie escapes in the Yucatán, she learns that the only place to hitch a ride back to France is at the Panama Canal, where top-class CIA investigators are expecting a terrorist attack at any moment--by an unknown woman. Once in Panama, pretty Marie lands a job singing at a club, where she meets secret agent Crawbett (Spencer Tracy), who falls hard for Marie only to learn that CIA operatives suspect Marie is the woman they are looking for. Full of startling twists and turns and featuring two original songs by Helen Morgan, MARIE GALANTE is a classic crowd pleaser.
Action | Adventure | Based On A Novel | Mystery | Spies | Thriller | Vintage
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 9,618
- UPC: 089218444097
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Action / Adventure Movie Categories:
- 10 Dead Men (DVD) ~ $29.94
- 10,000 B.C. (DVD) ~ $5.37
10,000 B.C. (Blu-ray)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 12 Monkeys / Mercury Rising / The Jackal (3-DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
16 Blocks (Blu-ray)
$16.69 Super Savings
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE