- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 18, 2008
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Troma
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage
- Deleted Scenes
- Featurette: Exclusive Look At Cannibal The Musical Stage Revivals
- From Around The World
- Introduction: Lloyd Kaufman
- Never-Before-Seen Outttakes Reel
- Interviews: Trey Parker, Director; Matt Stone, Actor
- Audio Commentary: Trey Parker, Matt Stone and The Cast of Cannibal The Musical!
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 07/24/1998
"...There are refreshingly ludicrous notes..."
Box Office - 09/01/1998
"...'Park' devotees will appreciate the familiar bloody slapstick and bursts of comedic rage....The real revelation is the score, a collection of infectious ditties..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/16/1998
"...CANNIBAL! THE MUSICAL has its hilarious moments for sure..."
The story of the notorious Alferd Packer, the only man ever convicted of cannibalism in the United States, as told by the creators of SOUTH PARK. A musical comedy horror extravaganza, originally made as a student film at the University of Colorado.
Description by Ryko Distribution:
Before there was South Park, there was Trey Parker and Matt Stone's macbre musical comedy masterpiece Cannibal the Musical! Based on the legend of Colorado Cannibal Alferd Packer, Cannibal the Musical tells Packer's version of what really happened when he and a group of gold diggers embarked on their fateful trip into the Rocky Mountains. Gruesomely gory, savagely satirical and painfully funny, Cannibal the Musical stands as a predecessor to what would come next for Parker and Stone, and features several in-jokes that would become part of the South Park legacy! Further, Cannibal the Musical has become a worldwide cult sensation to rival The Rocky Horror Picture Show, inspiring stage revivals and sing-along screenings all over the world!
An offbeat horror-comedy-musical based on the true story of Alfred Packer -- an 1870's trail guide who was convicted of killing and then eating five prospectors. Packer is hired by the future victims to help them find gold in the frontier, but he murders them instead.
Filmmaker Trey Parker mixes gore and comic production numbers to tell this unusual tale.
Theatrical Release |
- Songs include:
"Let's Build a Snowman"
"Hang the Bastard"
- This was made when director/screenwriter/star Trey Parker was a student at the University of Colorado.