The Royal Bed
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- From the play by Robert Emmet Sherwood
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 13 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 22, 2004
- Originally Released: 1931
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Lowell Sherman, Hugh Trevor, J. Carrol Naish, Nance O'Neil, Anthony Bushell, Robert Warwick & Alan Roscoe|
|Directed by||Lowell Sherman|
|Edited by||Arthur Roberts|
|Written by||J. Walter Ruben|
|Director of Photography:||Leo Tover|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Hapless reigning monarch (actor-director Lowell Sherman) lets the Queen rule their small European nation, but when she takes off for a tour of the Americas, the King must fend for himself. Outside the palace gates, the poor rise up in revolution and demand justice or blood. Inside, the King's daughter, Princess Ann (Mary Astor) adds to his headaches by announcing her intentions to elope with her lover. Meanwhile her power hungry brother, the Prince (Hugh Trevor), urges his father to abdicate.
Witty and filled with charming slapstick humor, The Royal Bed is a comedy that explores the ordinary nature of the extraordinary.
Princess refuses to marry within royalty after she falls for a simple commoner.
- Produced and distributed by Radio Pictures.
- This film was adapted from Robert E. Sherwood's stage play, "The Queen's Husband."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
This 1931 comedy is not quite as funny as it is fun. Made in the midst of the Depression, the pomp and splendor of a monarchy (even one subject to a revolution or two)must have seemed magical. Not a great film by any standard by I can think of worse ways of spending a little over an hour.
This story probably worked better as a stage play, which is how it was originally written. As a movie, it seems rather talky, hard to get into and with some flat performances. I was expecting it to be a lot funnier, like The Front Page and Philadelphia Story. The Royal Bed still has its clever moments, but most of the humor is very subtle.
- Sales Rank: 48,768
- UPC: 089218442994
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE