Our Daily Bread
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Our Daily Bread - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 13 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 22, 2004
- Originally Released: 1934
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Karen Morley & Tom Keene|
|Performer:||Lynton Brent, Barbara Pepper, Addison Richards, Billy Engle, John Qualen & Tom Keene|
|Directed by||King Vidor|
|Edited by||Lloyd Nosler|
|Music by||Alfred Newman|
|Screenwriting by||King Vidor, Joseph L. Mankiewicz & Elizabeth Hill|
|Composition by||Alfred Newman|
|Cinematography by||Robert Plank|
|Produced by||King Vidor|
|Director of Photography:||Robert Planck|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Lost souls, haunted by vice, seek a better future on an gritty "back to the land" commune in King Vidor's Great Depression epic drama. Idle masons, plumbers and carpenters are put to work creating, while former white-collar professionals are retrained in the art of manual labor. But all utopias have a dark side. Despite the overriding pioneering spirit; lust, proffering and deceit tarnish the ideals of the freethinking farmers while frustration and hopelessness corrode their dreams. The earthy love of a good woman inspires a sweeping climax as the community is forced to work together or face ruin.
A mid-period film by legendary director King Vidor (The Big Parade, Street Scene, Duel In The Sun), Our Daily Bread is evocative depression-era propaganda, made outside the mainstream studio system, as a way of inspiring thousand of dissolute moviegoers looking for a way out of poverty.
- Theatrical release: Aug. 1, 1934.
- Shooting location: Tarzana, CA.
- Vidor, unable to get studio backing for the project, largely financed it himself, with some help from Charlie Chaplin.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
The beginning and the end of the movie have two of director King Vidor's greatest scenes- the bill collector singing on his way up the stairs, and the irrigation scene at the end with a socialist message of working together. This DCD is a passable copy of one of the greats from the Great Depression. The movie was awarded a Lenin Prize at a Moscow film festival; Chaplin's rescue financing of the project was used against him in later anti-communist witch hunts.
This depresssion flick has a disappointing, moralistic (Hayes-mandated,) and simplistic (Hollywood-styled)plot that plods ... building ever so slowly,to its climactic final sequence. But, my goodness, what a powerful and moving ending! You may actually cheer the men and women, working together to overcome their travail. After an hour of viewing formulaic nonsense, this scene will surprise, alert and move you: the last ten minutes makes it all worthwhile. (It was once suggested that it was a communistic (really communal)effort to rouse the nation, to save all thoses who struggled, endured, and wanted a solution.) Perhaps so.
This movie is certainly not a Grapes of Wrath, but it belongs in the same genre of movies that try to explain and suggest a route out of the Great Depression. BTW: Where is "Wild Children of the Road"?
- Sales Rank: 16,226
- UPC: 089218442895
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE