Bob Mould Workbook 25 (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: February 25, 2014
- Originally Released: 2014
- Label: Omnivore
CMJ - 1/5/04, p.26Ranked #5 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1989"
Mojo (Publisher) - 3/01/04, p.55Included in Mojo's The 67 Lost Albums You Must Own! - "[The album] is one of Mould's strongest sets, with cello fleshing out his aching vocal melodies, and brief bursts of blitzoid guitar adding dynamics."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Wishing Well
- 3.Heartbreak a Stranger
- 4.See a Little Light
- 5.Poison Years
- 6.Sinners and Their Repentances
- 7.Brasilia Crossed with Trenton
- 8.Compositions for the Young and Old
- 9.Lonely Afternoon
- 10.Dreaming, I Am
- 11.Whichever Way the Wind Blows
- 12.All Those People Know
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 2.Wishing Well
- 3.Compositions for the Young and Old
- 4.Heartbreak a Stranger
- 5.Dreaming, I Am
- 6.If You're True
- 7.Poison Years
- 8.Sinners and Their Repentances
- 9.Lonely Afternoon
- 10.Brasilia Crossed with Trenton
- 11.See a Little Light
- 12.Whichever Way the Wind Blows
- 13.All Those People Know
- 14.Shoot Out the Lights
- 15.Hardly Getting Over It
- 16.Celebrated Summer
- 17.Makes No Sense at All
Personnel: Bob Mould (vocals, guitars, keyboards, mandolin, percussion); Jane Scarpantoni (cello); Tony Maimone (bass); Anton Fier (drums); Steve Haigler (percussion).
Recorded at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, Minnesota and Grog Kill Studio, Willow, New York.
Personnel: Bob Mould (vocals, guitar, mandolin, keyboards, percussion); Jane Scarpantoni (cello); Anton Fier (drums); Steve Haigler (percussion).
Liner Note Authors: David Browne ; Ryan Adams; Michael Azerrad.
Recording information: Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL (05/14/1989); Grog Kill Studio, Willow, NY (05/14/1989); Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassan, MN (05/14/1989).
Photographers: Marc Norberg; Jay Blakesberg; Greg Allen ; Andrew Paynter.
The release of WORKBOOK was greeted with universal critical acclaim. Comfortable with the old Husker Du three-piece formula, Bob Mould signed up Tony Maimone (bass) and Anton Fier (drums), both ex-members of Pere Ubu, for his solo debut. Ex-Tiny Lights cellist Jane Scarpantoni also adds some spectacular highlights and shading to the proceedings--especially on "Sinners and Their Repentances."
The album displays the natural progression of Mould's writing--though admittedly, the volume and feedback are turned down a notch, and a couple of tracks, in particular "Sunspots," a pretty solo acoustic guitar piece, may surprise people used to his traditional gale-force guitar. Standouts include the deceptively chipper "See a Little Light," which disguises its sadness in a brilliant pop wrapper, the punchy "Poison Years," which seems to be Mould's version of the Husker Du story, and "Brasilia Crossed with Trenton," arguably Mould's finest composition, full of howling regret, jangling guitars, and the kind of introspection that you can sing along with.
Bob MouldBob Mould / The Last Dog and Pony Show / LiveDog98 (3-CD)
$14.81 Super Savings
The Dream SyndicateThe Day Before Wine and Roses: Live at KPFK, September 5,...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Buck Clayton How Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The Woodside (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists For Collectors Only - Rarities, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE